Chapter 24 - The Voice

Warning: Some pretty sad content up ahead.
——————————————————

1 more day until the next experimentation...

    Dressed in a comfy (f/c) hoodie, leggings, and some sneakers, (Y/N) made her way to the cell to do some cleaning up. Her desk was still ruined thanks to a certain demon.

    She decided to do this chore later in the day while Ki and Akai were gone. The Scientists said that they'll come to collect the two in the afternoon and will be returned quite soon actually. They'll be back this Monday since the Scientists don't have much planned for the demons. It is currently 7:36 pm so they should be gone now. Just like the last experimentation, she felt guilty even though she has no authority over if they go or not. She's just a Keeper after all.

    Hopefully, neither of them will be too mad at her. Ki might be understanding like last time but her and Akai's relationship might worsen too. She's done her best to make up with him, but he's a very stubborn individual. There's no getting through with him once his mind is set.

    As for her situation with Blythe again, it's gotten worse. Still no word from her, no one's seen her, Axel hasn't returned from above ground yet, and Angel had told her the information he had learned from the doctors and he was told that Blythe wasn't admitted there. They have no records of her being brought in recently.

    Basically, Blythe has disappeared.

    The only known person who was last around her was Mrs. Kholwa. She's the Head nurse who's in charge of taking care of Blythe until she gets better. (Y/N) has contacted the nurse through email and asked about Blythe's current condition but she hasn't gotten a response.

    The Keeper's worry for her friend was starting to turn into suspicion.

    Blythe should be somewhat better now considering the fact that she has 'the flu' and it's been weeks. But for her to be under watch by one of the Heads in Castor Labs says that the situation must be more serious.

    She entered the labs and continued her walk towards her destination. Since it was so late, this entire section of the building was pretty much empty in terms of workers. The whole place was quiet and devoid of any commotion. Some cells had their steel walls down while others remained open to see inside at what they contained.

    (Y/N) stopped at one of the many cells on the second floor and looked inside.

    The cell was labeled "A3" and inside was a bat-like creature that hung from a horizontal pole in the ceiling. The demon was huge, probably 2 feet larger than her. It had long leathery wings that wrapped around its body like a blanket, a pointed triangular head that was tucked into itself, talon legs that gripped the pole tightly, and a long feathery tail that was very pretty to look at. Multiple colored feathers ranging from blues to pinks to yellows softly shook and waved around as the tail itself almost reached the floor.

    The demon was fascinating to look at but she didn't want to waste too much time admiring it. She began walking again but stopped when she felt something watching her. She could see a shadow approach on her left side and turned to look into the cell next to A3's. Her eyes widened at the tall half humanoid half animal-like demon that stared her down through the glass. The upper body of the creature was similar to a man's but morphed in a hideous way. Its head was all bone, no eyes and no nose yet it still sensed her presence and was facing her like it could see. The bone head was shaped like two battle axes on opposite sides of each other and its mouth was stretched out in a permanent... smile? Rows of serrated teeth could be seen which made the Keeper gulp. Its arms were encased in a thick metal chain that connected to its torso, its lower body was similar to that of a raptor with a spiky tail that could be compared to Ki's.