34 | Caren

"Okay, Jade's gone," I said receiving confused looks from Joie and Andi

"Okay, Jade's gone," I said receiving confused looks from Joie and Andi. "Y'all didn't think I would just let this go. Y'all forget I'm South Side too? Tell the truth on what happened."

Joie and Andi exchanged that same look as I looked between the two. Andi let out exasperated sigh and finally revealed the truth. "The girl I was going to help stole drugs from Kut."

"That Percy had," Joie adds. "Percy and Kut have this deal. Kut gave the green light for Percy's women to do their business without having to deal with the police interfering."

"And in exchange, Percy's women sells for Kut," Andi finished and further explains, "That night we got drunk, Percy found out where Joie lives. He warned me that if I don't meet up with him with Fiona and the drugs, he would hurt me, or even Joie. So, I met up with him and.." her pause let me know what happened, "He killed her. Threatened to end Hassan's career if I keep up with that program. So, I'm letting it go. I refuse to bring anybody into my shit. Especially Hassan."

I sighed, feeling bad because Andi was excited to start this program. "Oh, Andi. I'm sorry, mama. There was no way Kut could even—Well, never mind, that would stop his money."

"Exactly, and knowing him the way I do, there was no way he would even consider it." Joie states, "not even for me. But I did tell her to do another program. Probably work with kids like her. Ones that were in and out of foster care, make sure they're placed in actual good homes with loving people and not those wolves in sheep clothing."

Joie was right. "That's a great idea. You should do that. Something you're familiar with and don't have to worry about men like Percy and Kut."

I could tell Andi felt it was a good idea, but that discouragement in her eyes. She sighed and ran her fingers through her bone-straight hair. "I don't know.. I ju—" her phone rung, interrupting her words. She pulled it out and peered at the screen. "Then Golden's calling me nonstop. I don't know what to tell her. I can't tell her that I had to stop this because the girl was killed."

"I'll talk to her," Joie suggested.

"No, I don't want you to have to do that." Andi shut off her ringing phone, "She's a pretty.. intense and intimidating. But I can handle it."

"She can be even harder," Joie let her know and confused me further.

"Do you know the lady personally?" I asked Joie.