Chapter 48: Old Friend

Zhongyuan Festival, also called Ghost Festival. On this day, people would grieve for their deceased loved ones and burn paper ingots for them as a way to convey that they missed and longed for them. During the twelfth to fifteenth of the seventh lunar month, there would be people who lit incense in alleyways at night, drew a circle with limestone, and then burned paper money for their loved ones.

Worried that lonely, feral ghosts would snatch the offerings burnt for their loved ones, people would voluntarily burn some paper money at the side to appease them. Therefore, this was also a good period for wandering ghosts, since they who received no offerings or incense could also have honest money to spend.

Ghosts with robust physiques and nimble hands would snatch the most appeasement money. Those with poor physiques could only gather luck and keep up with those burning offerings in order to pick up some spending money.

When Wang Erma was alive, he stayed indoors all day long. His childhood was spent at an orphanage, after which he made a living as a water army online. His daily meals and clothes were all purchased online. Apart from dumping the trash, he hardly went out. At the moment of his death, he was thinking about how he hadn't even touched a girl's hand despite living for nearly thirty years.

It wasn't yet the date of his reincarnation and there was no one to make offerings to him. He had waited with much difficulty for the Ghost Festival, but even after the door to the ghost world opened, he couldn't out-snatch the other ghosts with his skinny arms and legs. Having been slammed against the wall by the other ghosts countless times, he had already given up on snatching 'appeasement money'.

Not toughening oneself while alive meant being bullied by a hundred ghosts after death. Wang Erma was very disappointed in the him of the past. If he had known to work out at that time, how could he have fallen to this ghostly level?

Floating several tens of meters, he saw a family comprising of the old and young burning paper offerings at a corner. After the paper money was burnt, it appeared in the hands of the few ghosts at the side. He sighed and turned towards another direction.

While alive, he was a single dog abused by lovers. After death, he was a single dog abused by ghosts. Seriously, he couldn't have a good time whether alive or dead.

A young man walked over from across the street. His clothing was very ordinary – a long-sleeved shirt and jeans. Wang Erma was a bit envious. With such good looks, he was definitely a winner at life.

"I'll return now. I can hurry there in five minutes," Fu Li had arranged with the Kunpeng to go out for beef noodle soup. But Zhuang Qing had suddenly informed him that he would have to do overtime the whole night, so he could only hastily make his way back.

Fu Li walked across the pedestrian crossing and caught sight of a bespectacled, skinny young man at the side who was watching him helplessly. Thus, he came to a stop, fished out a few yellow papers, and turned them into the shape of an ingot. After burning them in front of the young man, he rushed towards the management bureau.

Wang Erma clutched the several ingots in his hand, staring dazedly at the handsome brother's back as he rushed off. There was an absent-minded look on his face. Had that person burnt money for him because he had seen him?

"See that ostentatious, silly idiot in front? Holding the money in his hands and showing it off just because he has a few ingots, does he think he's so great just because he has money?"

Wang Erma came to his senses. Seeing a few ghosts in the distance pointing at him, he quickly kept the ingots.

Money should not be inadvertently revealed, money should not be inadvertently revealed.