Chapter 52: What is Love?

Fu Li was regretful immediately after jumping through the passage connected to the underworld, because he didn't know the way.

In the minds of humans, the underworld ought to be a dark nook surging with resentment, where filth stained all land and every kind of torture tool hung suspended. In fact, the underworld was similar to the human world – there wasn't a shortage of pavilions and kiosks. The only difference was that ghosts walked the streets, not humans.

There was no sun to be seen in the sky of the underworld, but the moon and stars were visible when night came. Fu Li arrived at a street where ghosts came and went. On the LED board of a certain multilevel building, he saw a host calming the fans of a certain performing artist by criticizing his evil conduct when he was still alive.

Fu Li had seen this artist before. When he was still a security guard at Affinity Moon Hotel, this male artist's soul had refused to go to the underworld no matter what. In the end, he was still forcibly brought away.

"Brother, you're not a fanboy of this Lu Renjia, right?" A young male ghost walked over. "Let me tell you, this guy is scum who was sentenced to a hundred years in the oil cauldron. He's already dead, does he think he's still some big celebrity?"

"No, that's a good punishment," Fu Li saw the surrounding ghosts stare at him as if he was a youngster who had stepped onto the wrong path, and immediately made his stance clear. "I don't chase after celebrities."

"That's good. There was a little ghost not long ago who insisted that this Lu Renjia was wrongly accused. To get Lu Renjia released, she threatened the yinchai, saying that she would jump into the Wangchuan River if they didn't set him free." The male ghost shook his head, sighing. "Who would have expected her to lose her footing and actually fall into the Wangchuan River. By the time the yinchai pulled her out, she could only be reincarnated as an animal in her next life."

Seeing that the male ghost's desire to gossip was growing stronger and stronger, Fu Li had no choice but to interrupt him. "Little ge, may I know the way to the yinchai's official building?"

"Why are you looking for the yinchai?" The male ghost responded. "Let me tell you, you may not understand the rules since you just died, but there's a queue for reincarnation. Going to the yinchai building to get through the backdoor won't get you anywhere."

Seeing that Fu Li hadn't listened to the great deal of prattling he'd done, he sighed, "Walk along the left side of this street. After crossing the bridge over the Wangchuan River, walk straight ahead a few hundred meters and you'll see it."

"Many thanks," Fu Li passed through the crowds bustling with activity. The very large public square to the right of the street was packed with men and women twisting their waists and swaying their buttocks in what seemed like dance. There were no traffic lights along the street, but there were bailiffs wearing red armbands who were maintaining order. After bypassing the intersection, Fu Li took out his Migu Branch, and then realized that it wasn't usable in the underworld.

"Brother, you must be a new ghost. The No. 13 Handphone Shop on Wangchuan River is open for business, there's a fifty percent discount for new ghosts," A ghost stuffed a leaflet into Fu Li's hands before turning and doing the same to the ghosts behind him.

A few leaflets that had dropped onto the ground were blown by the chilly wind to Fu Li's feet. Fu Li stooped over and picked up the publicity leaflets before throwing them into the rubbish bin opposite the street. A dark red river could be seen not too far away. Brilliant red flowers bloomed with dazzling beauty on both sides of the river.

White Ape had once told him that there were many ferries on the Wangchuan River. These ferries would bring souls to the opposite bank of the river so that they could welcome their new lives.