Patronus

A small and nervous laugh emitted from the Professor, his smile faltering as he placed his hands into his pockets. "And what, exactly, is it that you think you know?" Lupin spoke with confidence, but his body language portrayed alternate feelings.

Deep breath. "You're a werewolf and my Godfather. Is it true?" My eyes found his, that were now entirely succumbed to horror and disbelief. His lips parted to speak, but no words emitted from him. I could see his internal debate was evident, as a swarm of emotions overcame him. Finally, he spoke.

"Yes...It's true." He sighed, averting his gaze to the ground. "Who told you?"

"Professor Snape." I gulped, causing him to shake his head and scoff in retaliation. "That Sniv-" Remus paused momentarily, "...Snape doesn't know how to keep his bloody mouth shut, does he?" 

Dismissively, I shook my head, "I'd like to think I would have figured out the werewolf part myself, eventually." Complimenting myself, the teacher chuckled at my words as he folded his arms. "So, you are like James. What have I let myself in for?" He spoke to himself, causing my eyebrows to furrow in confusion.

"I am?" Lupin nodded at my questioning, humming in confirmation. "That's funny. No-one ever talks about my dad." I scoffed, grabbing my backpack from my desk. A smile made it's way across the man's lips, "Hm. That was your father's, by the way." He reminisced.

Glancing at the backpack in disbelief for a moment, I found an irrevocable grin spreading across my lips. "I've had it for as long as I can remember." I spoke, realizing that I had been carrying a piece of my dad with me all along. A comforting silence made its way across the room, as we both trailed our eyes onto the backpack.

"I wish I knew them." I sighed solemnly. Remus Lupin nodded, "I know...So do I. But, you must know that they loved you and your brother so much." He reassured. I pursed my lips, my eyes meeting his once more. "I understand why you couldn't take care of me." 

The Professor let out an almost sigh of relief, "If I could have, I would have had you in a heartbeat. But, it was just too dangerous." He tried to explain, although I did not need one, for I had already came to understand in the days spent alone in my dormitory. 

"I know. And, I won't tell anyone. I promise." Lupin nodded, happy with my statement. "Thank you, Emerald."

Sending a curt nod in return, I slung my backpack over my shoulder, "In return for my secret-keeping, maybe you could tell me more about my parents some time?" I negotiated. He chuckled, shaking his head once more, "That would be nice." He answered simply, before I waved him 'Goodbye' and made my way towards The Great Hall for dinner...

***

The weeks passed quickly, and I had refused Snape's summoning to any further training classes over the weekends. I had spent my evenings mostly researching into werewolves, so that I could gather a better understanding of Lupin's condition. Fortunately, we would also start learning about them in the next term, so it was always good to get a little ahead.

I had also managed to have a word with Professor McGonagall, and Lupin would be teaching Harry defensive spells, especially after the Boggart/Dementor occurrence in our first DADA class. I had asked if I could learn with Lupin also, but McGonagall refused, advising me I would need to take it up with Snape if I wanted to change. I decided not to, of course. 

The guilt of my ignorance to Snape began to eat away at me. I realised that I would need to start attending the training again if I wanted to be able to successfully defend myself and Harry. So on Saturday 2nd October, I dressed and styled my hair, grabbed my backpack and wand and made my way to the seventh floor.