Second Christmas Home

The week preceding Christmas was incredible; the halls were decorated in red, gold, blue and green; the intoxicating smells coming from the kitchens would fill the entire school; ghosts would walk the corridors singing Christmas Carols; Even the Bloody Baron joined in, that year. Since our fortnightly conversations in the Common Room, he had cheered up a little. The other students put it down to the thought of a murderer potentially infiltrating the castle. I liked to think I may have played a part in his more positive attitude, however. He was, after all, a terribly misunderstood ghost.

We had spent most of the holidays fabricating Hagrid's defence plan, in the case that Draco was unable to convince his father to drop the charges. Most of the Slytherin students returned home for the holidays; Ron and Hermione, however, had decided to stay that year.

My green dress from the year prior was now too small to wear, as I dressed for Christmas morning, more excited than the year before. Pansy and I opened our presents together, after she received a last-minute owl from her parents advising they would be away for the Christmas holidays. I had comforted her upon receiving the news; although she had parents, they were not very present. Pansy gifted me a new dress to wear for December 25th, which I donned to the feast in the Great Hall that year.

I gave her a purse from Hogsmeade; one of the other Slytherin Students managing to get it for me on the last trip to the snowy town. I had managed to give Draco his gift before he left; a silver chain necklace. No doubt, I would receive an owl from him shortly thanking me for the gift. In return, Draco bought me a pair of new earrings to wear to the feast. They were very delicate and extremely beautiful.

I wore my hair, as Pansy had styled them, in rag curls. But the flecks of white from my new, natural colour had started to show through a little. I knew I would grow tired of maintaining my hair, eventually. Unfortunately, being a Metamorphmagus was not in my skillset. Only the ability to read minds, which lead to the most agonizing of headaches; Lucky me!

I had gifted Hermione some new books about Herbology, being one of her favourite subjects. Unfortunately, Professor Dumbledore would not permit me to give my brother the broomstick he needed; instead, advising me to give him a new pair of glasses; his own being severely broken the year prior due to an accident with the Whomping Willow tree. I put a spell on the glasses to mend themselves, if ever anything happened again that may damage them.

I had bought Ron a Quidditch shirt resembling that of his favourite team; The Chudley Cannons. No doubt, they would be opening their gifts the same time as Pansy and I, unable to wait for the other students in the early hours of the morning. Lupin, I had gifted a black cloak I had found in Hogsmeade, unable to repair he tattered coat he had worn throughout the school year amidst his transformations.

In return, Ron's mum had knitted me a scarf in the Slytherin house colours. Hermione had given me some additional books that she knew I would need/be interested in; one of which surrounded ancient artefacts in the Wizarding and Muggle world. Lupin had also given me a present; a ring that belonged to my mother. It was far too big for me, so I would wear it on my thumb until I was older. My gift from the Quidditch team was my new, captain badge, engraved with my initials. I couldn't subdue my excitement to wear it in the new year, but also couldn't keep my nerves at bay towards the responsibility Flint would be handing over very shortly.

Pansy had left to take a bath, leaving me alone. Around the back of the Christmas tree in the common room, in its usual place, sat a black gift box with the familiar satin ribbon to match. A label on the box read out;

'Find warmth in the cold. And no accidents today, please.'

I tried not to chuckle at the writing, not wanting to draw any attention to myself as I opened the box and peered inside. It was a beautiful, winter cloak. With an unkempt eagerness, I put it on over my white dress, making my way out onto the school grounds before breakfast. It was still a little dark outside, the morning frost stinging my cheeks as I trudged through the snow.

Finding myself trekking down to none other than the Black Lake, I took a seat on a wooden bench, watching the dark waters. Had it really been a year? Folding my arms for warmth, I shivered a little at the memory. Snape had saved my life that day; how was he always there when I needed him? Always watching over...Waiting for something to happen. So....present.

"You're up early." I turned quickly in the direction of the voice, as Professor Lupin walked towards me. I nodded, smiling. "So are you. Getting ready for the full moon in a few days?" I asked casually, watching him take a seat beside me. The man nodded, starting to look a little worse for wear. "Indeed." He hummed, looking out over the lake, himself. "You know, Dumbledore told me about what happened to you last year. I am sorry I wasn't there to help you through it all."

I shook my head adamantly, "It's alright. I had my brother and friends and...-" I cut myself short, deciding it would be best not to finish that sentence. "-Professor Snape?" Lupin spoke, confirming what he already knew I was motioning towards. My lips pursed, a little embarrassed. "It's alright, Emerald. I understand why he cares for you so much...And you him." 

My eyebrows furrowed confusedly, "You do?" I repeated, looking for some clarification as to what his words meant. Lupin nodded, a little more enthusiastically, "Of course. Professor Snape cared very deeply for your mother. It is not a surprise he cares for you as much, if not more. But oh! Your father hated him for it!" He sighed, the fog dispersing from his lips, onto the lake in front of us.

My jaw clenched a little, as a small but irrevocable lump formed in my throat, "Did he love her?" I asked. Remus Lupin was silent for a few moments, before nodding in confirmation. "I think they both loved her. More than you could ever imagine. I never agreed with the way we were to him."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked, still avoiding his gaze.

Remus sighed, "Your father and me...and our friends..." He choked out the last part, as though it was a tough pill to swallow. "We humiliated him."