Family Ties

"Are you enjoying your pancakes, Miss Potter?" My gaze drifted from the plate I had been absentmindedly picking at with my fork; a few, small crumbs of pancake residing in the aftermath of my demolition. I nodded, my stomach filled with content, "They were really good, Professor." The silence surrounding us grew awkward, as an Elf walked over and took my plate. All the others had left, leaving us to our own thoughts. 

"Your mother always had pancakes in the morning for breakfast." He nodded, looking ahead sheepishly, a hint of nostalgia in his tone of voice. I hadn't seen Snape without much confidence, but the thought of him linking me to my mother made me feel a slight warmth inside that I couldn't quite comprehend. But also a longing to know the woman that should have raised me; what she was like...What kind of a mother she would have been to me...

"What was your mother like?" The words escaped my lips quicker than I had time to process them, confused as to why I had asked such an invasive, private question to my Potion's Master. His gaze fixated onto the table in front of him, clearly in some shock himself at my query.

"I-I'm sorry. I don't get to talk about that subject very often-" Severus Snape shook his head dismissively at my attempt to apologise, furrowing his eyebrows in deliberation for a quick moment. The last Elf emptied the room, finally leaving us in solitude. 

"My mother was a rather...Absent woman in my life. I often spent my summers eager to return to Hogwarts just so I could be away from my parents. They fought...A lot. I wouldn't wish them on another child." I felt saddened by the man's statement, watching the tears begin to brim in his dark, sorrowful eyes. Severus Snape was a lonely man, I knew that much. He spent most of first year pushing me away, and I could imagine he had spent his entire life doing the same to others. And when he finally managed to escape the grasp of his parents...He came to Hogwarts to be bullied by Remus Lupin and my father...My father.

Without thinking, I reached across the table, as I had once before, and placed my hand over his arm. Severus' mind relaxed momentarily, and I found myself catching a short glimpse of a young man with long, black hair; a face younger in years but entirely recognizable as the man sitting before me. He wore tattered, dirty clothes that looked intentionally in disrepair prior to him owning them. I watched as he sat in a decrepit, mangy, old house; curled in a foetal position...Crying, alone...In the dark. 

The image blurred quickly, as Snape caught on to my invasion. Slightly more saddened at his momentary weakness, he pulled his arm away and recomposed himself to his usual, hardened manner. My breathing hitched and I forced the stinging sensation away from my eyes. "I apologise if I am stepping over the line, Professor, but...." I paused, this time reaching further across the table to take his hand in my own, preventing him from pulling away anymore. My eyes latched onto his ebony ones, as I stared into the endless oblivion that awaited me in them..."I am here. Always." And those words were, I realised, all that I needed to say...To relieve him from those pained eyes...

I watched as a tear rolled down his cheek and his breathing hitched, almost in some sort of awe for a brief moment. His lips curled into a smile, as he sobbed and nodded in agreement..."Always." And I knew, his words meant he would be there for me too...No matter what.

The following weeks passed quickly, as Harry and I waited in suspense for Sirius Black to make an appearance and Harry could finish the job he set out to do...Avenge our parents. My brother was right- we couldn't live our lives in fear of Black coming and killing us both. But Harry's actions to do such a deed were reckless; an unfortunate trait of his house. I, however, wanted to take a more thought-out approach. Our differing decisions would cause quite a stir between us both, but my older brother would win most times, unfortunately...

We took a patrol through the castle each night, exchanging the Marauder's map at dinner and steaking out the school in search for Sirius Black. Unfortunately, no appearances were made and the walls were quiet for those weeks.

It was on the third of February, however, that Ron's pet rat disappeared into thin air. Hermione's cat got most of the blame, but Ron was most neglectful whenever I brought Pearl to the Library. I spent Thursdays helping Neville Longbottom study, and Tuesdays helping Hermione manage her classes. Unfortunately, she decided she was going to drop a few towards the end of the academic year. I could hardly blame her; I was struggling enough to keep up with the other Third Years. Although, I was still managing to achieving scores higher than Draco Malfoy, which was above average.

Scabbers was eventually found, the following Saturday of the Gryffindor Vs Ravenclaw match. Gryffindor thrashed it, as always! It was good for me to take notes on each player's technique in preparation for the new year, and Flint wanted me to start hosting Quidditch meetings from March, onwards. 

That Saturday evening, however, our anticipation for Black's return was broken. For Ronald spotted Black in his dormitory, slashing at his curtains and attacking him. Harry was furious, for had he not been the one out of his bed patrolling the castle that night, he may have woken up to kill Black. 

We had to let what might have happened reside, for it wouldn't change anything in the long run. I was sorely tempted to use Hermione's time turner to go back and finish the job myself; only I knew my powers came with lack of control and experience. I couldn't take on Black alone. And Harry and Ron knew nothing about the magical artefact. And no teacher would be prepared to take on such a feat...No, I would need to wait in the shadows for the opportune moment to strike. That was what snakes do, after all......