The Marauder's

"It was your map, wasn't it?" I asked Professor Lupin the following morning as we stood on the covered bridge on the outskirts of the castle. Pearl sat on the ledge as Lupin petted her nonchalantly, nodding in confirmation as a satisfied grin appeared through his lips. "And how, may I ask, did you figure that one out?"

I scoffed, shaking my head dismissively as I glanced out towards the landscape ahead of us, "The second that bloody map insulted Snape, I knew."

"Of course you did." Lupin grinned, causing me to irrevocably mirror his expression in pride. "Just like your mother, always figuring out our secrets. Although, she'd normally scold us for them." The man chuckled.

"So...You was called Mooney?" I raised an eyebrow, allowing Remus to hum to confirm my statement. "And...what was dad's nickname, then?" I pressed.

"Your father was Prongs."

"Why?" I chuckled, facing my teacher. He looked a little nervous, before shrugging finally. "I suppose I may as well just get it over with, you're bound to work it out anyway..." Lupin sighed, admitting defeat to my intelligence. 

"In order to support me on a full moon and keep themselves protected from getting the curse...All of the Marauders became Animagi. Your father's was a stag." Lupin pouted, averting his gaze to the depths below the bridge.

"But, don't you need to register to become an Animagus?" I asked, confused.

Lupin nodded, chuckling once again, "Yes, well-...as I'm sure you know by now, your father wasn't one to follow the rules."

Humming in agreement, I turned to face my Godfather, once more. "Who were the others?"

"Hm?" Lupin tried to act as though he hadn't heard my question or, at least, hoped I had asked something of a different nature.

"The other two Marauders? Wormtail and Padfoot?"

Lupin sighed, looking solemnly away from my gaze as he withdrew a deep and shaky breath. "Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew and Padfoot was...Sirius Black."

My eyes stung a little at the mention of Black's name, confirming what Harry and I had already came to know, to be true. 

"So it's true, then; Black is coming to kill us both just like he killed my dad." I breathed, holding back my tears.

Lupin pouted, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and giving it a comforting squeeze. "Lately, Emerald, I have found myself questioning the truth quite frequently..."

The next few weeks/months would pass very quickly, as Hogwarts tried to return to some sort of normality. Ron's 14th Birthday approached; Harry and I buying him some merchandise for the Quidditch World Cup, which we would all be attending before the start of next term; regardless of which teams made it through to the final.

Slytherin were off-par that year, due to my newly found inability to fly. Or, more specifically, fly without a broom. Snape advised it would be too dangerous for me to play until I gained more control over my broom, as I wouldn't be able to play Quidditch without it. Unsupported flight was not a very common feat in the Wizarding World. Snape wrote a note for me, dismissing me from the last game of the season. Unfortunately, this may have played a part in Gryffindor beating Slytherin and winning the House Cup for the year. I'd need to get some practise at Lupin's house over the summer holidays...

Most of those weeks were spent in the library, studying with Hermione and Neville for our exams starting in June. June soon approached, along with Draco's birthday. It was the first year I bought him a present, opting for a new set of goggles that would help him when playing Quidditch. I also bought him a selection of his favourite sweets from Honeydukes; Harry and I managing to sneak down to Hogsmeade to purchase them, one last time.

We started our exams with Transfiguration, where I successfully managed to turn a teapot into a tortoise. Harry passed after a few attempts, along with Ron and Draco. Hermione, as usual, passed with flying colours. Pansy managed the task with ease, also. Crabbe and Goyle, however, struggled.

After lunch, we had charms. Again, an easy feat for myself, due to my extra curricular classes with Snape. They had ceased until the end of term, due to the exam work I needed to focus on. And as much as I hated to admit, I missed spending those weekends with my Potion's Professor. 

The following day started with our Care for Magical Creatures exam, followed by potions which I passed with flying colours, as expected. I never ceased to impress Snape, however, as he watched me brew my potion from afar. The same evening, at midnight, we had our Astronomy lesson, turning up to History of Magic the morning after completely sleep deprived. Draco had to hit me several times to stop me from dozing off during Professor Binns' lecture...

On the morning of 9th June, we started out day with Defence Against the Dark Arts exam. Lupin presented us each with our Boggart, requesting we cast the Ridikkulus charm to overcome it. Similar to before, the green strike of light beamed out, and yet I still found myself questioning why my greatest fear was so random compared to others. I had thought it might have been seeing someone close to me dead or even Voldemort himself. But a green light with no explanation?

My Boggart was easy to overcome as I cast the charm and reduced it to nothing but a green firefly buzzing about the air. Happy with my defence, Lupin passed me with ease. Hermione, however, exited the exam in floods of tears, due to her Boggart being Professor McGonagall telling her she had failed every exam. I could think of worse things to be afraid of...

I waited for the exams to finish and the class to depart for break, knocking thrice on Lupin's office door and peering through the crack inside. Looking up from his marking, Remus smiled. "Ah! Emerald. Is everything alright? Not come to try and exceed your already perfect grade?" He asked snidely, yet I knew other things were on his mind. Things that were worrying my Godfather. What, however, I could not delve deep enough to find out, for I feared Lupin had built some walls himself to prevent me from peering through.

"No." I laughed, reaching into my bag and taking a potion vial out. "Snape asked me to give you this and to remind you about tonight." I smiled sadly as he took it from my hands. Lupin nodded with a pout, "How could I forget? You'd think, by now, it would taste better." The man shrugged, placing it into a drawer by his desk. "I'll wash it down with my supper tonight."

"Do you think I might be able to become an Animagus, like my dad? So I can be with you each month-" I tried to suggest, Lupin not even allowing me to finish my sentence as he shook his head adamantly. "-No. Emerald, I have allowed you to get away with many things in the past but I won't condone that! It's too dangerous and you are too young, not to mention, it is illegal!"

"-But you said it yourself, my dad wasn't one to follow the rules. If he did it, why can't I?"

"You have enough power to cope with at your young age and your father didn't become an Animagus until his fifth year, no! It is not happened, end of discussion." Remus ordered.

"But-" I tried to protest, my Godfather cutting me short once more, "-No. And not another word, or you'll be in detention for the rest of the semester."

I huffed in defeat, turning on my heels and leaving, making my way to the Great Hall for lunch. I could only hope Divination would have a more positive outcome than my conversation with Professor Lupin. Hopefully, Trelawny would be in a good mood....