Prophecies

"Broaden your minds! You must look into the beyond! The art of Crystal Gazing is in the clearing of the inner eye; only then, can you see."

I tried to drown out Trelawny's advice, as Draco and I gazed into the crystal ball, filled with smoke. "Do you see anything, Em?"

"Shh!" I hissed at my blonde-haired friend. "I'm trying to concentrate." My eyebrows furrowed, warranting a snort in return from the blonde Slytherin boy, my chin resting on the small, wooden table as I gazed deeper into the crystal. The smoke slowly began to disperse, as a vague outline of an image began to come forth in the ball.

"Do you mind me trying?"

My concentration broke, once more, as Hermione began to look into the ball placed on Harry, Ron, and her desk. "The Grimm, possibly." The words escaped the Gryffindor's lips before the ball even had a chance to show anything. 

Trelawny tusked in response, taking Hermione's palm in her own. "My dear, from the first moment you set foot in my class, I sensed...That you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of divination." Turning the student's hand upwards, she began to draw lines across the back of her hand. "Ah, you see, there. You may be young in years, but your heart beats beneath your bosom is as shrivelled as an old maid. Your soul is as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave." 

My mouth was agape, as Trelawny hummed and nodded in confirmation of her own statement. How could she say such cruel words to another pupil who was only trying to be the very best at everything? I could feel the anger projecting from Hermione, her mind coming to a complete overload as she grabbed her bag, tossed the ball from the table and stormed away from the classroom. I had half a mind to go after her, but did not want to risk anymore detentions for the year, so I thought better of it.

Sighing angrily, I glared back at the crystal ball, fighting it for some sort of reading to come through. It took a while, but the only image I managed to make out was that of darkness. Yet again, an ominous image of a black dog presented itself to me. Yellow, glowing eyes piercing through the black abyss. Something bad was going to happen, I could feel it. But I could not be truthful with Professor Trelawny of my reading, not wanting to cause any more worry or upset to the other students.

We all managed to pass the exam our Professor set, except for Hermione; due to her leaving in the middle of class. It wasn't like Hermione at all to react in the way that she did; the workload that year was clearly getting too much for her. 

Draco and I began making our way down the Ravenclaw tower and towards the Great Hall for dinner; only we found our paths crossed with Harry as he made a b-line back towards the classroom. 

"Everything alright, Harry?" Stopped in the midst of his quest, he nodded. "Uh, yeah. Just taking this back to Trelawny." Motioning towards the crystal ball that Hermione had tossed from the table. Nodding, I stepped aside for him to pass through; a small glare being exchanged between himself and Malfoy. 

I shot daggers back at the blonde boy, earning a snide, "What!?" in retaliation.

Sighing, I shook my head angrily, "You know, you could at least pretend to like one another. I'll see you at dinner." Turning on my heels, I made my way back up the staircase after my brother, who had walked some 20 feet ahead of me; not noticing my presence behind him.

Coming to a halt in the doorway, my path was stopped by an ominous voice emitting from inside the classroom.

"It will happen tonight. The Dark Lord lies alone and friendless, abandoned by his followers. His servant has been chained these twelve years. Tonight, before midnight... the servant will break free and set out to rejoin his master. The Dark Lord will rise again with his servant's aid, greater and more terrible than ever he was. Tonight... before midnight... the servant... will set out... to rejoin... his master..."

I gasped, running into the room and calling out my brother's name, "Harry!" 

Professor Trelawny stood with her hand on my brother's shoulder, his eyes filled with the terror that mirrored my own. The teacher's glazed eyes began to focus, her spirit entering the room once more. She appeared slightly confused at our presences in the room. 

"I'm so sorry! Did either of you say something?" Her rat's nest hair lashed against her cheek as she glanced back and forth between the both of us. Harry opened his mouth, about to say something but I lurched forth, grabbing his hand, "No! We didn't. Just wanted to bring your crystal ball back. Let's go, Harry!" Practically dragging my brother from the room with all my might, we sprinted all the way down the empty stairwell and into the school courtyard. 

"What was that!?" Harry exclaimed, running his hands through his messy, dark hair. I shook my head, hunched over in attempt to catch my breath from our running. "She....Said...A Prophecy!" I gasped for air. Harry's confused and disbelieving gaze caught my own. "A Prophecy!? Trelawny's as nutty as a fruit cake, she doesn't make proper predictions!"

I shook my head adamantly, looking up towards the sky as it became overcast and grey. For June, that was rather abnormal. "Well, that was a real one, I'm telling you! And we shouldn't ignore what she said about tonight. Buckbeak's execution is this evening....We need to be prepared for anything..."

My brother nodded, as we both finally managed to catch our breath. "Meet us at the common room tonight at 7." He pointed his finger, walking ahead to my sheer and utter confusion.

"Wait, 'We'!?" 

My brother nodded, continuing with his path as I fought to keep up with him. "Yes, Ron and Hermione are coming too."