Eight: Dove

Chapter Eight:

Dove

A week.

It's been a week since I've been dragged out of the dark, and I didn't like it.

A week of being in the light when I wanted nothing more than to retreat in the back of my mind. I wanted the darkness to consume me as it had before. I craved not being able to feel anything in my heart as I curled up in the corner of the basement I'd been used to. I yearn for not being able to think or feel anything.

I missed the devil.

For a week, I was visited every day by different people. They were all so bright and wanted to talk to me constantly. There's a girl, Anastasia, from what I remember her telling me, are the estate's chef and head maid.

She kept talking and encouraging me to eat. Yet each time, I would only shun her along with everyone else away in hopes that I could retreat to the back of my mind. My body constantly ached, and I was forced to move even though I wanted to hideaway.

Then, there's Timor and another man named Nicolai. They would often keep their distance, looking at me from a distance to make sure I was okay before walking off. Every time they came too close, I would always tense and convulse. There's another woman as well, who wouldn't say a word to me. She would simply glance at me before leaving. I often found myself wanting to close the doors and window so it would imitate the constant I've been used to for the past few weeks before they dragged me out.

Whenever I felt too much, I would often hide under the bed or in the corner.

Each time, I would have no choice but coaxed out by Gedeon Sokoloff. He's the Russian leader and my lawfully wedded husband. I couldn't believe it. After all, I have been betrothed to the devil for as long as I can remember. It didn't make sense at all why he kept calling to me. Yet, when he found me hiding or in pain, it looked like he was physically in pain.

In return, a dull ache would be felt in my heart as well—almost as if his pain is mine.

What I hated most was how my body felt around him. I didn't find it comfortable for others to be near me. My body would reject it, sweating, and the need to vomit would overtake me. Yet, Gedeon was the only one able to get close enough to me. He would often hold me close, and rather than tensing as I did with the devil, I would only relax before I caught myself in doing so.

"My stubborn wife," he would chuckle before kissing the top of my head. His eyes often shined whenever he spoke to me like I was his everything. I usually would look away, hating what he was going to me as he questioned me. "What are you thinking of?"

Again, I would refuse to answer him. Finally, when I didn't say anything, he would only catch my chin and gently tip my head, so I was looking at him once more. He was frowning slightly; his brows bumped together before my eyes found him again. He would then smile, rubbing his nose against mine.

"Keep your pretty eyes on me, okay? I don't like it when you look away from me," he commented. I drew a sharp breath as another acute pain raked my skull. I've heard him say those words before. It felt like centuries ago now as my body felt like it was on fire. So it was when he made love to me. It was different when he touched me compared to the devil. When the devil touched me, everything hurt. With him, it's a constant craving I couldn't satisfy.

Gedeon kept me company for the seven days, barely leaving my side unless it was necessary. He prompted me up in his arms, reading to me. He would ask me whimsical questions and bring me to places around the estate to coax me into talking. My favorite place became the greenhouse, and he seemed to notice as we would often find ourselves there. He'd let me walk around; his eyes focused on me as if he couldn't quite believe I was here.