Chapter 15

Lots of emotions in this one, I think. Trigger warning for a panic attack, but it's not from the perspective of the person having it.

Sasuke settles into a good routine. He builds a space for Eri to give both him and her some privacy in the warehouse. She's not as jumpy around him now, though she still seems to be waiting for the metaphorical pin to drop. That's ok, though. As soon as Sasuke figures out how she fits into All for One's former plan, he can find a proper guardian to look after her.

He's not giving her back to the Shie Hassaikai, though he's sure they're losing their minds looking for her right about now.

It's late in the evening and Sasuke is reading a book on England in the 1700s. One of his snakes, Sana, is curled up in his lap content as Sasuke pets him idly.

Sana is an older snake, much older than Annaisha. His species is a Borneo Python, which isn't venomous. He's usually just good for intimidation because of his size and stealth. Either way, he's one of Sasuke's favourite snakes.

"I have to say, Sasuke-sama," Sana says, "I never thought you would pick up another hatchling."

Sasuke laughs tiredly. "It's a surprise to me too."

Sasuke sighs. His unfailing belief in his own ability is faltering. He's still the strongest here, he knows that, but he's not entirely sure there is a way back. The gap in abilities is too large. Even though the technology is more advanced, the lack of chakra is hindering them.

"You are fatigued, Sasuke-sama." Sana says softly. "It is alright, I will guard."

Sasuke would argue, but Sana is right. He's exhausted.

"Sleep now, hatchling."

He closes his eyes and falls asleep relatively quickly.

~~~

Sasuke wakes to the smell of something burning and is on his feet in a matter of seconds.

His eyes are immediately drawn to the kitchen, where Eri, with the help of Sana, is attempting to make breakfast. Part of him is glad that she's at least trying to do things by herself but the other part of him is very annoyed at the cleanup he'll have to do.

He runs a hand through his hair and walks into the kitchen.

Eri is whispering to Sana that she thinks the pan is too hot.

"The pan is too hot." Sasuke agrees. Eri jumps and her elbow hits the pan's handle, causing hot oil to spray everywhere.

A few drops land on Sasuke's arm which is fine, he can hardly feel it, but some gets on Eri's elbow.

Her face contorts in pain and Sasuke can tell that she's on the verge of tears. He has a moment of internal panic and is about to get some cold water before he realizes that Eri isn't in pain, she's scared.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. It won't happen again. Please don't hurt me, please, please." She begs.

Sasuke is frozen in place.

Anyone could tell that Eri needs to be comforted. The problem is that Sasuke doesn't know how to do that.

He looks at Sana helplessly. Sana returns his look and nudges his foot with her snout.

"It's fine, I'm not hurt." Sasuke says slowly. Eri continues to mumble apologies, obviously not hearing a word.

"Sasuke-sama, if you do not do something, she will not be able to breathe." Sana points out.

"Yes, Sana, thank you for that." Sasuke grits out. Eri is sitting on the floor with her head in her knees and her arms protecting her neck. It's obvious from the way she's sitting and her breathing patterns that she'll run out of oxygen eventually.