Chapter 18

Most kings had a dining room just for their family, and one separate one for their employees. 

But my father didn't fit in the 'most' category. He aimed to make all of his subjects feel as though they were at home.

You could either call that kindness or paranoia; I prefer a bit a bit of both.

But because of this unique decision, the hall was bigger than normal—about the size of fifty common rooms in a mansion—and also very extravagant. There were buffet-style tables with all of the food you could imagine on them, expensive-looking tapestries, gigantic couches capable of seating dozens of people with coffee tables for all, and tables and benches to dine upon. Oh, and did I forget to mention that the food was served by five-star chefs? 

We took our seats with the hundreds of people already dining, our plates full of food of our choice. Dad slid into the spot next almost unnoticed, only getting a few head bows in reverence to his way, while Nico, Triton, and Mom sat down in front of us.

"This place is amazing," Nico said in awe. "I wish I could stay here forever."

"You're always welcome here darling," Mom said sweetly. "You're family and I know Percy here thinks of you as a brother."

I nodded my head in support. The news made Nico a billion times happier. His smile was so big that I was half afraid it was going to split his face in half while if he was a comic book character his eyes would've turned into hearts. Again, not what you would think about the famous Ghost King who delivers justice and eats the hearts of the wretched. (I didn't know whether someone made up the latter part for laughs or it was a stereotype, but I can tell you from experience that Nico's a vegetarian.)

I was cut out of my thoughts as I subconsciously rested my elbow on the metal table, and pain shot through my nerves. I almost jumped out of my seat in shock. "What the!—how does it hurt so much?" I exclaimed, rubbing my elbow, which was pulsing as though I had elbowed a suit of armor as hard as I could.

Dad laughed, while I stayed unamused and confused. "You know what this table is made of?" Dad asked, visibly struggling to contain other bout of laughter.

I studied the table closely; it was a shiny grayish color which seemed to reflect light int he way only metals could. "Silver or some other type of metal?"

Now, it was Triton's turn to jump in. "Close. It's actually made out of Atlantean Silver, something that only Dad can make."

"That's right," Dad laughed heartily. "You could injure a kraken if you threw this table at it."

"Poseidon!" Mom admonished. "Don't give the boy any ideas!"

"Why would I throw a heavy table when I have a sword?" I asked, then shifted my attention back to Dad. "And krakens are real?!"

"That is what I was talking about," Mom said, glaring at me playfully. Then she turned her attention back to Dad. "You better not say anything else otherwise you're sleeping on the floor today."

Dad paled for the second time today, and looked like a child who was about to get grounded for life.

I laughed. "Looks like you're out of luck today, Dad."

Triton then suddenly smiled mischievously, and a few glances confirmed everybody was as confused as me. 

"Why're you smiling?" Nico asked. "You look like you're just about to raid a candy shop."

Triton opened his mouth to respond, but before he could get a word out Mom seemed to understand what was going on and cut in. 

"You better not say anything to Perseus about the kraken either, otherwise I won't let you see Andromeda for a week," Mom threatened.

Triton recoiled like a kicked puppy, and pouted silently like a five-year-old, even though he was hundreds of years old.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why he obeyed. "You're courting somebody?" I asked incredulously.

Triton blushed and looked away, silently confirming my question.

"He's not courting her," Dad corrected. "She's the person who started it the process. Imagine having the guts to approach your king and lead him into the process."

"And that's the only reason you like her," Mom muttered. "Meanwhile, I on the other hand think she has a wonderful personality and will make a good queen."

"Mother," Triton groaned. His face was so red that it could be considered as the color of a tomato. "Please don't talk about it right now."

"Why not?" Mom asked, oblivious to his embarrassment. "Percy should know, so if he walks into your room and sees you kissing an unfamiliar girl he doesn't freak out."

Triton just groaned again and buried his face in between his arms which were resting on the table. 

Dad laughed, enjoying the interaction between them. "You done eating?" he asked when he noticed my empty plate. When I nodded, he snapped his fingers, making my plate disappear into thin air, along with everybody else's empty plates. I raised my eyebrow, impressed with the skill he showed.

"With practice you can do the same," Dad said, noticing my unspoken question. "It can save you in fights, since you can dissolve your opponent's weapon. Actually, I think you're powerful enough to do it without any guidance. Try it on this." 

Dad made a Celestial Bronze teacup appear in his hands, and he set it on the table in front of me. I didn't know what to do, but after a bit of thinking, I decided to fully focus on my gut, where I usually felt the energy to use my abilities.

After a few minutes just staring at the teacup awkwardly without anything happen, I was ready to give up. But before I stopped, I felt something, which immediately slipped from my focus when I tried to grab onto it.

I immediately closed my eyes, trying desperately to center the feeling again, but to no avail. I opened my eyes to recreate what I was doing before I felt the mysterious power. I studied the teacup carefully, noting its shadow on the table, the reflection of the lights off of it, the perfectly smooth bronze surface . . . 

The feeling came again, but unlike last time, I didn't immediately try to grab for it. Instead, I gently allowed it to grow, not letting my concentration waver even a bit. At the same time, I imagined the teacup slowly disappearing, being replaced by air. 

By now, my eyes were tearing up since I refused to blink and break my concentration. If I didn't try my hardest now, it would be harder next time I attempted. 

I let the power in my gut grow in size, barely having enough willpower to quell my instincts that yelled at me to hold the feeling in my gut so it couldn't escape, which almost broke my concentration. I let the power have the choice to leave—which fortunately, it did not do.

From the outside, I probably looked like a mess. I could barely see through my tears and I was starting to sweat in effort. But before anybody could stop me, the teacup slowly started disappearing like I was in a magical movie. 

My eyes widened in amazement, although I quickly had to concentrate again since the feeling was slipping away.

Slowly and steadily, parts of the teacup disappeared until there was only thin air and I was left tired and sweaty, as though I had ran three miles while shouting at the top of my lungs. I leaned on the table for support.

Before anybody could congratulate me—or in Mom's case, probably scold me for overexerting myself—the double doors of the dining hall/common room were quickly opened, the metal doors slamming into the walls with a metallic clang which was so loud that even the group of mermen in the corner loudly and heatedly debating about whether a trident was just "three spears stuck together" looked over to see what was going on.

A guard limped through the doorway, looking exhausted. Her armor was dented in several spots, and she was covered with a sheen of sweat. She had her sword out, and her purple eyes were alive with panic, delivering the announcement which would immediately throw my "vacation" downhill.

"The front gate's under attack!"