Chapter 7- The Snuggly Duckling

It was a dark and gloomy day in the usually sunny kingdom of Corona. Rapunzel and I had gone to the village library with Varian in hopes of finding information about the black rocks. I had never been to the library before, and it was honestly a bit overwhelming. There were shelves with books, upon, books, upon books! Not to mention the fact that the village library had books with tons more variety than what the palace library has. There were mystery books, fantasy books, and even poetry. The only books the palace has are science and history books. My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a high-pitched squeal a few rows of books down.

I find Varian looking excitedly at a row of books. "Did you find anything on strange, black rocks?" I eagerly ask.

Varian turns to face me. "Well, no...but I did find The Tales of Flynnigan Rider: Book 4!" He announces, tightly hugging the book against his chest.

"Book 4? I thought you had all the Flynn Rider books." I question, leaning against one of the shelves.

"Well...heh.." Varian nervously chuckles and scratches the back of his head. "I did have it, but I kinda...accidentally spilled a mug of hot cider on it last winter..."

I giggle. Only Varian... I think to myself.

Rapunzel quickly runs up to us. "We have to go," she says, pushing us towards the exit.

"What? Why?"

"We just got here!"

"I think we're being watched," Rapunzel whispers to us.

Varian and I nervously glance at each other, but we exit the library with no more protests.

We get outside and look around. "Did we lose them?" I ask.

"I don't think so...look!" Rapunzel points to a tower where a Royal Guard was peering at us through a pair of binoculars.

"There's one over there!" Varian says, pointing at a guard watching us in a crowd of people.

"Do you think dad sent them, Raps?" I question, looking at my older sister.

Rapunzel worriedly looks around. "I'm not sure, but I don't want to stick around and find out. Let's go!"

Rapunzel, Varian, and I run through the town, but the guards keep following us no matter how hard we try to shake them from our trail.

"Over there!" Varian exclaims, pointing at a cart full of pumpkins.

"Good idea!"

We run to the cart and hop in, right before the guards can catch us.

The three of us watch them get smaller and smaller on the horizon, and Rapunzel waves goodbye to them. "That was close..." I say with a sigh, leaning back into the pile of pumpkins.

We ride on the wagon for a little while, before we pass in front of a crooked old building in the woods. I read the sign hanging by the road. The Snuggly Duckling. "Let's get off here," Rapunzel suggests, securing Pascal in her hands before jumping off the wagon. Varian and I follow her lead and hop onto the side of the road. "We showed them!" Rapunzel says with a chuckle, looking at us proudly. "But now there's a slight chance we'll get stuck in this rain..."

Thunder crashes around us and within an instant, it's pouring.

Varian raises an eyebrow at the blonde.

"Okay, yeah, a huge chance." She nervously smiles. "C'mon, let's get out of this rain." Rapunzel leads us to the strange building, and we walk inside.

I gasp when I see the only people in this building are thugs who look like they could be wanted for murder. "Are you sure these people are safe, Rapunzel? 'Cause I think I'd rather take my chances in that thunderstorm." I hide behind Rapunzel.