Chapter 8

Naomi went to training with Killian the next morning. She felt rejuvenated, lighter. There were still things he didn't know, but there were things she didn't know about him either.

"Alpha, will Luna be training with us?" one young girl asked loudly. " We need more girls!"

She was surprised by this. It would be kind of fun, but she definitely couldn't keep up with them.

She looked up, meeting Killian's gaze, even from far away. He gave her a subtle wink and she felt her cheeks heat.

"Not today, maybe one day."

"What about capture the flag today?" someone else asked.

Capture the flag? She didn't even know what that was.

"We'll see. Are we going to stand here and talk all day or actually get some work done?"

---

"I saw that look," Killian said, walking over to her on the bleachers. He used his shirt to wipe the sweat off his forehead, and Naomi caught a glimpse of his very toned abdomen.

She didn't want to give away that she was looking, but her face grew hot immediately.

"What look?" She met his smiling eyes.

"Do you want to train?"

She shrugged, "I couldn't keep up."

"Maybe not now. You don't eat nearly enough for you to exercise that intense. We could work together and then move you into the group."

She smiled up at him, and he smiled back.

"Come on, I am hungry," Killian offered her his hand, and surprisingly she accepted. She laced their fingers together.

"Can we cook?" she asked, swinging their hands a bit.

"I don't really know how," he admitted.

"I don't either."

He gave her a skeptical look that made her giggle. He grinned. She seemed happier today, and he loved her little smiles.

"I guess we could try," he said. He would do anything her heart desired. He was head over heels for her.

Naomi was actually a really good cook. Killian pulled up a recipe on the computer, and then they had to track down the ingredients from the pack house since there wasn't much at home, but she was a natural at it.

"I would eat this everyday," he told her, taking another bite of the breakfast she whipped up.

She blushed extra pretty.

"We can find a few other recipes and go to the store so we don't have to borrow ingredients," he said, watching her pick at her food. "Do you not like it?"

"I'm full," she said, setting her fork down.

"Come on now, you hardly ate."

She shrugged, "I can't help it I-"

He reached for her hand, " You don't have to explain. We're going to work through it. It just takes time."

She gave a weak smile, before standing and stacking their dishes. He helped her clean up before heading to shower.

When he was finished, she was fast asleep on the couch. She looked like an angel.

He was hoping to sit next to her and do some work on his laptop, but realized it was no where to be found. He huffed. He hated leaving her, especially knowing she hated being alone, but he didn't have it in him to wake her.

He scribbled her a note and headed to the main house.

"Is that a smile I've been seeing on your face?" Mickie teased from the office doorway, startling Killian.

"Don't be a dick," he muttered, tucking his computer and a wad of paperwork under his arm.

"Seriously, Killian, it's a good thing. I'm really happy for you, and for Naomi."

"I didn't expect it to feel like this," he admitted. "Have you been looking?"

Mickie frowned, the look oddly uncharacteristic. "I thought I would get through the Beta ceremony first. One thing at a time, right?"

Killian studied him for a moment. "Okay. I'm here if you need to talk."

Mickie followed him down the stairs and Killian was just about to leave through the door when he heard someone talking in the hallway.

"I didn't expect Alpha to choose someone so weak-"

It was all he needed to hear. The surge of anger that coursed through him was fiery and prominent.

He shoved the poor, unsuspecting boy into the wall. "How dare you talk about your Luna that way?"

"I'm sorry, I-"

"She's stronger than you will ever be. Don't think for a second that just because I have a mate I will go soft on you, boy," he growled.

The boy flailed under his grip, and Killian slowly set him on his feet.

"You don't want to know what I'll do if I hear that talk again, about anybody, do you understand? I don't tolerate bullies."

The group scattered as he backed off. He needed Naomi, and some air.

He still felt so angry. He thought about a few days before when those girls at the group home were whispering about his mate. He didn't want her getting the same treatment here. He feared it would regress her too far back for him to be able to fix.

---

She was awake when he came in. She was reading, and she startled when he entered the room.

She must have seen the look on his face.

"Killian," she whispered, standing up. It was the first time she had called his name, and some of his anger cooled immediately at her sweet voice. "Did something happen?"

"No, sweetheart," he said.

Sbe pouted, like she knew he was lying but didn't have the courage to call him out on it.

He chuckled. She was too adorable for words. He held out his arms, giving her the choice.

She walked into his embrace, snuggling into his chest. She fit perfectly.

"Just some rowdy boys. I probably got too angry," he said.

"Are you still angry?" she asked curiously, green eyes peeking up at him.

"Not at all." He bent his head ever so slightly, his lips brushing faintly over her forehead.