• 𝐂hapter 28

Everything that happened after we left the cathedral played out in fast motions

We drove in Killian's limousine to the makeshift dining hall reserved for family and a few friends who wined and dined.

We danced, toasts were made, and speeches were read. We ate. And after I'd smiled so much that my cheeks hurt, I decided it was time to return to our suite.

I'd left without Killian because I couldn't find him anywhere and when I'd asked Gwen she'd told me he'd left with his friend, Brad.

I climbed up the mahogany stairs alone to the Master Bedroom already furnished to taste with everything we would be needing.

I pulled my heels off and padded to the bathroom where I stood in front of the rectangular mirror and began to rid myself of all my accessories. The multiple bobby pins went off first. I worked a handful of pins free and detached the jeweled clasp, letting my hair cascade in soft waves down my back. 

It took me about twenty minutes to get out of my wedding dress. When I could finally feel my own skin, I stepped into the shower and sighed as the warm water cascaded down my hair.

When I stepped into the bedroom after my bath, I was dismayed to still find it empty.

Ignoring the anxiousness pang growing in my gut, I heaved my suitcase onto the bed and picked out my button-up nighties.

Why the hell wasn't he back yet?

Ugh. Why did I even care?

I put my suitcase back down and lay on the bed, wishing for sleep but I just ended up staring at the ceiling.

My eyes fell on the clock on the bedside table and I saw that it was nine o'clock.

Should I perhaps call him?

No. I shook my head at that thought and turned over on the bed so that I was laying on my side. If I called I would look desperate, which I wasn't. And the last thing I wanted was for that bloke to think I gave two shits about him.

Hugging one of the pillows tight, I closed my eyes again, counting one to a hundred in my head and hoping that before I reached a hundred, I would doze off.

"Twenty-four..." I muttered out, tossing the blanket over myself as the room was rather too chilly.

"Forty-eight..." I muttered again and groaned out. This wasn't working. I reached for the nightstand. If I turned the bed lamp light off, it might help me fall asleep faster. I leaned forward, but just as I switched the lights off, a knock rang on the door, making me immediately switch it back on.

My brows pinched together. If it had been Killian he wouldn't need to knock, he mostly never did.

I sat up on the bed and spoke softly. "Who is there?"