Chapter 26

"For someone who did not wish to be Queen, you do spend a lot of time in that chair." Athena mused, slowly coming up the steps to stand before the throne.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, offering her a smile.

I could imagine how it looked. I was curled up on the throne because it really was the comfiest place to sit, my sword at my side and the old map of these lands spread out on my lap; maybe this was how it could have been.

"I was looking for Kara, you?"

"Same, she's around. I decided to wait here." She's staring at my sword, and it's like a part of my brain that had been sleeping suddenly woke up. "Do you recognize this?"

I pick it up, resting the weapon over my lap and her eyes are glued to it. Athena gives a little cough, as she struggles to swallow and her face loses its colour.

"No." She lied. "It's an impressive weapon."

If that's how she wanted to do this, that was fine but I was waiting for Kara and we had things to do today.  "Medusa gave it to me."

Wide fearful eyes shot up to meet mine before she stepped closer.

"That creature is a mere legend." The laugh that follows is fake and awkward. I merely stare at her as if I knew better - which I do. Athena did a terrible job at hiding her fear, the anger only masking it as she dared to glare at me now. "You know nothing."

"Oh, I feel I know a few things actually. So why have you been so quiet about the Furies, after all, aren't you all to thank for Medusa's change of destiny?" I look at her expectantly, not put off by the trembling of her hands that she shoves behind her back or the look on her face that makes me wonder if she was wishing I had been cursed like the other woman instead.

"She fills your head with lies." She spat, sounding very paranoid - and guilty.

"Right. So you and Tisiphone had nothing to do with the snake perm or serpent sisters?" I tap the sword. "And you didn't form this blade to try and make it up to her?"

Athena swallowed, the whole motion looking awkward and difficult before she clenched her jaw so tightly I could practically hear her teeth grinding.

"And what if I did?"

"Nothing. I was just asking a question." I shrug, and I can tell she isn't believing me. "I've had a few revelations lately, and the fact I don't really know any of you, like at all, is one of them so relax, I'm not about to put on a Team Medusa t-shirt and demand you right every wrong of your past. She's more than happy for it to stay that way, and so am I."

Her eyebrow arched slightly as she seemed to process this. "Fine. So let me tell my side of the story then."

"If you feel you need to, I'm listening."

"I was young, my powers were still developing, and I was high on the power. We claimed your world as ours and were free to do whatever we wanted. Your mortals were so unlike the Others that lived here back then, it did little to tame our egos."

"I've heard the history."

That makes her smirk, and slowly her hands fall back to her side.

"I met Tisiphone at one of my temples. It was just before they rebelled against Cronus, and she was disguised as an Other, who needed help. I obliged, and she revealed herself to me. She said I was worthy, of true and noble heart and deserving of all that my followers claimed me to be." She hesitated. "In hindsight, it was merely one of many acts they put in place to build up their own following for when the fight came to overthrow the Eldest ones."