LIX

dreams eyes softened and he let out a sigh of relief. i swiftly managed to shove him off of me, letting out a shaky breath.

"what are you doing here- where is punz- where is sapnap?" i exclaimed, my eyes flickering over his cloaked form.

"youre okay..." he mumbled out, a small content smile crept onto his face.

"i thought something had happened to you- i was so worried.." he ran a hand through his blond locks, dishevelling his hair even more.

"why? you dont care about me..you said so yourself." i folded my arms over each other, pressing my back against the cave wall.

the lantern that had shattered on the floor let out a dull glow, only illuminating parts of dreams face. but it was enough to see his expression change to one of guilt.

"i didnt mean that- whatever you overheard me saying isnt true. just trust me, im trying to protect you." he attempted to explain, stepping forward towards me.

i shuffled to my right, away from him. my eyes studying his movements.

"dont lie to me. how can i trust you. you hurt me. you attacked wilbur-" i began, my voice wavering but i was cut off.

"he attacked me. i came looking for you and he attacked me." dream seemed irritated, his chest was rising and falling with every jagged breath.

"no.." i shook my head, rubbing my thumb in circles on my arm as a form of comfort.

"yes. i dont understand how thats so hard for you to believe. but then again, he has been lying to you these last few years." dream trailed off.

"i made a promise to you, one of the first nights we met. i would never let anyone hurt you. i care about you y/n."

"he wouldnt..you almost killed me! wil said that you blew up the-"

"wilbur is a liar. i bet he left out the part where he was the one who supplied the explosives." dream chewed on the inside of his cheek, his hands balling at his sides.

my breath hitched in my throat. my eyes flickered from dream to the double doors down the passage.

"g.nf..." i whispered to myself.

"george. he sold the tnt to george, in order to protect l'manburg." the blonds eyes scanned my features.

"no. no no no no." i ran a hand through my hair, avoiding eye contact.

"why? why would he do that.." my brain felt cloudy, my palms grew clammy and hot. my breathing became erratic and shallow.

"he- how can i trust you- you could be lying." i attempted to think of excuses. no, wilbur wouldnt do that. its a misunderstanding.

"are you really going to place your trust in someone whos relationship with you is based on lies?" dream questioned.

i pressed my back flush against the wall, sliding my body down and pulling my knees to my chest.

dream bent down to a crouch so we were at eye level with each other. he outstretched his arm, placing his calloused hand on my shoulder.

i flinched at the contact, fixing my gaze to the floor while attempting to control my breathing.

"im going against my king, to protect you. if he found out i was defying his orders- plotting against him. he would kill me. but i am here. i am here with you because...because-"

my eyes shot up, locking onto his green ones.
"please dont-" i began.

"because i think i l-"

"whats all the noise out here for?" quackity questioned as he pushed the door open.

light flooded the passage, highlighting me and dream. karl followed behind quackity, whos sights were now on me, curled up on the floor.

quackity immediately pushed past, shoving dream back away from me a few feet. dream quickly stood up, towering over the dark eyed male.

karls eyes widened, then fixed to my form. he knelt to the floor, offering his arms out for me. my bottom lip quivered and i swiftly climbed into his embrace.

the brunette cradled me in his lap, his large shirt completely enveloping my form. he stroked my hair with his left hand as he rocked me gently.

i peered out, watching quackity yell profanities at dream.

"what the fuck are you doing here- what did you say to y/n?" he growled at the taller male.

dreams face settled to an unamused expression, he folded his arms over his chest and sighed.

"i came to tell you to be careful. george has soldiers looking for y/n everywhere. he has technoblade in a cell at the castle-"

"he has techno?" i sat up attentively, karls arms weaving around my torso to secure me.

dreams eyes met with mine, a melancholy expression rested on his features.

"yes. he was arrested this morning when george came looking for you." he mumbled out.

"is he okay? dont let them hurt him- what about the boys- tubbo? tommy?" i rambled on, karl attempting to soothe me by pressing kisses against my shoulder.

dream let out a sigh, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

"techno is fine. for now. there is to be a trial soon-"

"a trial?" quackity cut in, his eyebrow raising.

dream paused before he continued, his eyes softened as he glanced down at my longing expression.

"for his execution."

a/n- i hope this chapter is okay,, shorter but i wanted to get one out today! how we feeling about the story so far?? i love feedback, vote n comment <33

((this song fits dreams character in the fic btw))