07 • The Lumberjack

I almost slip sideways off my seat when the train finally stops.

With my scarf in one hand and my duffle strap in the other, I climb down the narrow stairs.

No surprise I am the only one that gets off at this sleepy, snow-covered station.

No one comes to this town. They just already exist here.

And man is it a ghost town, albeit a festive ghost town that belongs inside a snow globe, but vacant nonetheless.

I dredge through the almost knee-high slush on the platform. Glad this town believes in snow removal. The train whistle blows and it starts rolling away again, leaving me behind. I find myself wondering why I disembarked, when I walk headfirst into a solid wall.

My second collision is with the cold, wet ground.

"Oufh."

The solid wall makes an inaudible sound.

"Watch out!" A second and somewhat husky voice breaks the silent night.

"Holy S-!" I groan, panting, scrambling to stand up. I try to collect myself and fish my phone out of a pile of snow.

When I finally bring myself to look up, I discover the solid wall is, in fact, not a wall at all. No, it's not a person either. That would be too normal. It's a bloody reindeer!

"That's a," I pause, grabbing at an invisible stitch in my side, "You're a reindeer!"

"This is Trotter."

I finally take note of the raspy-voiced man and sure. The reindeer makes sense. Brushing snow off my backside, I start ogling him sideways.

If I could only use one word to describe one person on the planet with the hopes of encapsulating their very existence -Lumberjack. I scrutinize his black and red plaid flannel, hidden beneath his Sherpa-trimmed vest, and cringe at his dirty, fraying work boots. It's all very nondescript.

"And I'm Nik," he says. He eyes me, cautious, like he's waiting for me to fall over again.

I decide his eyes are warm enough, but still somehow as dark as the midnight shadow on his face.

I've never been a fan of beards. The woodsy, just chopped some trees and desperately need to bathe look has never been my cup of cocoa.

"You look freezing. Can I give you a blanket?" This Nik seems to pull a fleece throw from nowhere.

"No thanks," I huff.

I walk several paces away, already trying to call my mother when I remember there is next to zero cell service in this hole.

"Can I get you some eggnog? It's still warm," Nik says.

"No, thank you," I say, slow in case he somehow still can't take a hint. "No."

"Do you often decline help from strangers?" He asks, a small smile barely visible beneath his almost-beard.

"Do you often sit around train stations with blankets and eggnog?" I ask, crossing my arms. Calling my mom is not an option right now. "Ugh this place sucks!"

I storm away, my heels spinning out in the slush. I make sure to keep my eyes wide, since running into Trotter again is not an option.

My booties are already soaked through, and I pray that my parents are already waiting in the lot.

The side lot is empty and the only car in the front has become one with the winterscape. It must have been parked since Thanksgiving.

Maybe it's Lumberjack Nik's car, since he's clearly abandoned modern modes of transportation with literal reindeer.

I put my duffle down on the only patch of cleared concrete -a rectangular patch directly under the streetlamp. I look up and wow, what a surprise. A wreath is hanging from the post. A black and gold banner hangs above the station's ticket window, welcoming me to this frozen tundra. Even as I read it, I don't quite believe it. The town name feels like a stranger to me. The banner may as well read Any Small Town, PA.

My parents are going to hear an earful if I don't freeze to death out here!

I tilt my head back and breathe out extra heavily. My breath escapes in lopsided spirals.

"Do you want a ride?" Nik is back.

"I'm waiting for someone, actually. Not just sitting here for fun," I say, terse.

Nik walks closer, slowly bridging the snowy gap between us. His hand that's not holding the blanket is patting Trotter's furry tuft of chest hair. The poor reindeer is even wearing what looks like some intricate collar or harness, adorned with sleighbells.

"Actually," Nik begins, embarrassed. "I think you're waiting for me."

"Excuse me?" I scoff. "Is this your idea of some meet cute? I'm not trying to get picked up by a mountain man."

Nik laughs, his eyes sparkling under the blinking lights. "Ah, but I am trying to pick you up. You're Noelle, aren't you? Noelle Manger?"

I. Am. Mortified.

"Yes?" I question myself.

"Thought so," Nik nods, knowingly. "Sort of look like a city girl. No one around here would wear heels in the snow."

"I'm sorry? I'm missing something-"

"Your parents." Nik interjects. "Sent me to get you off the train. Something about a giant tree lighting problem."

"Oh my god," I exhale my words. "This can't be happening."

"I'd say call them if you want, but you won't get through," Nik jokes.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Was I supposed to confuse you with the zero other people that got off the train?" He laughs. "Plus, you answered to your name."

"And I'm just supposed to take your word for it?" I ask, eying his pet reindeer.

"By all means, ask someone else for a ride home." Nik tucks his hands into his pockets and rocks slowly.

There's no bother turning my head -I know there is literally no other way to get home.

"Ugh!" I sigh. "Fine. But I am not riding the reindeer."

"Ha-Ha, deal." Nik laughs hoarsely.

He reaches down and scoops up my duffle, effortless for him whereas I still have the mark it made from digging into my shoulder.

"So where's your car?" I ask, falling into step beside him.

"'Round here," he answers.

We turn the corner to the other side of the train station -the side I haven't seen yet -and my jaw drops.

To what should my wandering eyes appear but a damn sleigh! Like, a jingle all the way sleigh, dark red with gold trim and colossal ice-skates in place of wheels.

"Now you know where the blanket came from." Nik tosses my duffle into the back of the sleigh.

I shake my head. "I'm not riding in that."

"That is the only thing stopping you from turning into a human icicle."

"Um, I have some self-respect, thanks." I scoff.

"So it's not all gone, then?" He asks, laughing.

"I'm sorry, what's funny? Is my despair and misfortune amusing you?" I fold my arms.

"I do tend to see the beauty in the bad, but no," Nik says, shaking his head. "Come on, come on."

I roll my eyes at him -at his eager and kind persistence that just does not vibe with my mood right now.

I clamber into the sleigh and wait as Nik straps the harness around Trotter.

"I can't believe this is my life right now," I whisper to myself.

Nik clicks out the side of his mouth and it spurs Trotter into a forward motion.

Is it even home if this kind of absolute insanity doesn't happen to you?