23 • Sleigh Bells

I wake up almost praying that last night was a dream. Maybe in some alternate reality I didn't down three glasses of pine needle punch and a whole bottle of wine, make a pointless bet with Nik, and end up drunk dialing Preston at 12 AM.

But in this reality, I did all of the above.

I find my phone (with 3% battery life) wedged between my mattress and the headboard. The name across the screen is unmistakable. I bolt upright and lead against the pillows. I need all the support I can get.

One missed call from Preston. Three unread text messages from Preston.

"Oh my sweet Jesus," I utter under my breath. "This isn't happening."

"Coffee's made!"

My mom's muffled voice is barely audible through my door, but the mouthwatering aroma of coffee is already invading my bedroom. It gives me enough energy to roll out of bed, pull on a pair of jeans, and throw my hair in a bun.

I scamper off to the kitchen, pour myself a very large travel mug of coffee, and return to my room with two things on my mind: Shame and Trees.

I can't stop rereading Preston's text messages in my mind.

Noelle? Did you call?

Are you OK, Noe? Sorry it's bad service on this island.

It must be after midnight at home. Who is Nik?

Oh. My. Ugh!

I haven't answered for a myriad of reasons. 'Oh hi, Preston. 1. I drunk dialed you, my bad. 2. If by OK you mean surviving, then no I'm not OK. Oh and 3. Nik's just some lumberjack man -you should see his reindeer.'

I plug my phone in to charge. I have 16 minutes left before I need to leave and meet Nik for round one of the aforementioned pointless bet. I would definitely cancel if I had his number. Maybe.

I rummage through my suitcase for the cutest, chicest sweater I brought from my apartment closet. I find it in the form of an oatmeal cowlneck with fringe on the sleeves. I slide into my jeans and start working on my hair. It's too clean to mess it up with a hat, so I select a pair of snowy-white earmuffs I used to wear religiously in high school.

I lace my cute snow boots and grab my mittens from the foyer table.

Since my dad needs the truck today, he drives me over to Trodder's to drop me off. I don't like it. Partly, since I don't love being on someone else's schedule and partly since I feel an impending sense of doom that I'll be stranded.

"Thanks," I say, hopping from the passenger side.

"Call me when you need a pick-up. Only, remember give me a heads up," my dad says.

"Ok, I will."

I slam the rusty old door hard enough that it shuts properly and start walking towards the giftshop. I don't see Nik's sleigh immediately, and I'm both elated and deflated by this.

"Yes!"

I spin around and see Kit jogging up the path from the tree fields.

"Hi Kit," I say, grinning.

"Back for more?" He jokes.

"Back for a friendly wager," I say, shaking my head.

Kit hangs his head, curious. I notice the dimples in his cheeks are extra red with cold today. He points behind me.

"Ride's here," Kit says.

"So it is."

Nik's sleigh emerges from the white trees, blazing across the field like a flame on canvas. It's a bit grander in daylight, I'll admit. The dark red is more garnet and it move much less cumbersomely with two reindeer pulling it. The cargo space is overflowing with trees.

I clasp my mittened hands together and swing idly like some schoolgirl in the yard waiting for her ride to come. A long strand of hair whips against my face before I tuck it behind my ear. I watch as the sleigh glides closer and Nik grows bigger. I'm pleasantly surprised to see he's left all things plaid behind today.

"Hi," I say, eyeing the charcoal turtleneck sweater peeking out from his black peacoat.

"Hello, Noelle," Nik says, smiling.

"One more to add, Nik." Kit throws a tiny, silver and gold wreath on top of the stash.

"Thanks, man," Nik says. "Are you ready?"

I gulp down all my reluctance. I don't plan on having the time of my life, but maybe Nik is right. What else would I be doing? Admiring Preston's latest swim trunks that I probably bought him? I put my right boot on the base of the sleigh.

"Nice muffs," Nik laughs. "Very festive."

"Nice balls," I scoff, rolling my eyes.

A garland of sleigh bells jingles as my feet pulls it from the guardrail of the sleigh. "Too festive."

"Just sit back and relax," Nik says.

I pull a blanket from the storage area in the bottom of the sleigh. Again, in the daylight, I can see the sleigh properly, bells, whistles, and all. It is quite roomy up front.

"C'mon Trotter," Nik shouts, clicking his tongue again. The ground starts sliding out from beneath us and we're off.

"That there is Minka."

I nod at the second reindeer, wondering once again how Nik knew exactly what question I was going to ask.

"Not as strong as Trotter, but very tall for a lady deer. They have a good height match. You see." Nik points to the reindeer.

"I see," I say. I see that their harnesses are thick red straps outlined with the very same jingle bells as the sleigh.

"You really want people to hear you coming, huh?" I ask, stealing a look sideways.

Nik grins beneath his beard and wraps the reins tighter in his hands. "It makes for music. My stereo is busted. Plus, it's good if they hear me coming. I don't want to run anyone over."

"I don't know -Getting trampled by a reindeer might be on someone's bucket list this time of year," I tease, sarcastic.

"Are you making a holiday-related reference?" Nik smirks.

"Just saying," I shrug. "I'm not a grandma, but I volunteer to get run over by a reindeer."

"Not on my watch," Nik says.

The air is cold, and it smells like snow and sweater weather. Nik turns off the side of the gravel lane before before we reach the main road.

"I take the back way to town, across the fields. Takes half the time and is better for their hooves," Nik says.

"Fine," I shrug.

I'm going to be murdered.