Six

"Now that I know you exist, how do I not love you?"

~Butterflies Rising.

***

"No, mamà! No te bloqueè," No mama, I didn't block you, I said to the phone, setting my foot on the sofa, "You're literally on the phone with me, Mamà."

"Si, si," She sighed, "Tu prometido me dijo que te esban cuidano," Your fiancè told me you were being looked after.

Setting my other foot on the sofa, I was now standing on it. I frowned at Mamà's words.

"Yeah, a fucking babysitter," I scoffed, sitting down on the headrest, "Do I look like I need one?"

"Yes," Was all she said, and then, "Cuidado con tu iodioma, una mala boca no es atractiva."

Mind your language, a foul mouth is unattractive.

Does she not know my goal is to be as unattractive as possible for the next ten days so that I become essentially homeless?

Seems not.

Five minutes ago, Mikhail had called Leo to tell him to leave. Leo left, parting with a pat on my shoulder.

Leo had left me alone to deal with his fucking boss.

Big pussy move for a guy that was a solid 6 feet or something. I even told him that with my help, we could both tackle Mikhail to the floor, knock him out and cuff him to the bed or something...And just leave him there- after I take a picture of the whole scene and set it as my lock screen, of course.

And if he wanted out of those cuffs, he'd have to let me out of this engagement.

It was, in my opinion, the easiest solution to getting out of trouble.

Until Leo reminded me there were probably no cuffs lying around in the house. And that he will never bring harm to his boss, otherwise his wife would be left alone without his amazing company.

And then he left.

I didn't know Leo had a wife.

"Since when have you been all chummy with him, Mama?" I glanced at the clock. He could be here anytime.

I jumped off the sofa, grabbed the remote resting on the small coffee table and turned the television on. He should be welcomed with some noise.

I sighed with relief. It was a smart T.V.

I began to search for some songs.

"Not chummy, estùpida," Mama scolded, some clattering sounded from the background- she was probably cooking.

I hummed with dismissal, my eyes narrowing with concentration.

"He called to ask what cereal you like."

I paused, chose a random song and turned the volume up.

"¿Que?" I breathed out.

I was too busy looking for songs, I could have heard her wrong.

"I said: he called this morning to ask what cereal you like."

So I didn't hear wrong.

I felt my cheeks heat up, and I struggled to hide my smile.

"Lo siento mucho, mi amor," Mamà said softly. My smile dropped.

I'm so sorry, my love.

I tried so hard to avoid talking about this. I didn't want to argue with Mamà. I never have.