Chapter 1: Saint Petersburg

A/N: Hi everyone and welcome to FROST! This is the first book I have ever written, so please excuse the bad writing... Anyways, ENJOY.

It was a cold winter's night as Mara made her way through the snow-covered streets of St. Petersburg. It had become her home for the past week, as she waited for her next target to arrive for an assembly meeting happening in the city tomorrow. 

The target was a Ukrainian assembly member who owed Mara's client a lot of money after a poker game. Those cases were very common for Mara and often quite easy.

Over the past two years, Mara was forced to constantly move around, after escaping Hydra once the Avengers leaked all Hydra files. The fall of Hydra gave Mara a chance to run, but also left her exposed. 

Everyone who showed interest in those files now knew who she was. So far, she had been moving around successfully. She went from being forced to kill, to becoming a contract killer who got to pick her clients.

Killing was the only thing Mara knew. The only memories she has are memories of her growing up in Hydra and killing her way to adulthood. Using assassinations as milestones in her life, instead of high school graduations or a first love. 

She had never known love. What others would do out of love, she would do as a means to an end to get what she needed. It was easy for her to seduce people, with her tall stature, brown hair and piercing eyes. 

But it never meant anything to her. Everything she did was a mission. If it was not part of a mission, it was not important to Hydra, which meant it was not important to her.

She looked through the empty streets around her, trying to find out where her next target may move through and finding an appropriate place to position herself with her sniper rifle. 

She finally spotted a seemingly abandoned flat near the area the assembly member was supposed to be the next day. She made her way to the main entrance and as she expected, it was abandoned. Aside from a few homeless people that is.

She made her way along the doors on the fifth floor and landed on one apartment that gave her the perfect view of the location. She picked the lock and opened the door.

The apartment was your classic Eastern European apartment, except more abandoned of course. It was cold, but Mara was used to that after being in Eastern Europe for a big portion of her life. A layer of dust covered every surface in the apartment, proving that nobody had lived there for a long time. 

She took off her backpack and settled on the floor, not wanting to sleep on the musty couch or on a dirty mattress. She worked on her plan for the next hour before falling asleep on the floor.