Chapter 2: Job well done

She had managed to sleep for four hours before waking up. It had become normal for her to get four hours of sleep at night. She was trained to always be on guard and sleep was not something that fit into that mindset.

She looked at the time and saw that she had some time before the assembly member would arrive at the site. She used this time to set up her sniper rifle and to look at what her next assignment could be. 

She was hot commodity on the dark web. Many people apparently wanted to see someone they know dead and she had the highest success rates.

She decided to contact a woman in Washington D.C., who asked her to kill her abusive ex-husband, who was a senator with a good reputation. No way she would win a case in court, so Mara was happy to help.

Once she sent out the encrypted message, she saw that it was time to finish her current assignment. She walked over to the window and positioned herself behind her rifle, looking through the scope. 

She spotted the assembly member walking alongside his wife and heading towards the entrance of the government building.

She looked through the scope of her rifle, put her index finger on the trigger, took a couple of breaths, and fired. 

The bullet pierced straight through his skull, leaving a clear red pattern across his wife's face. Job well done.

Mara quickly disassembled her sniper rifle, putting it back in its case, and grabbed her bag. She walked out of the flat like nothing happened, hearing commotion and screaming in the background. 

She walked through the now busy streets to a more secluded suburb. Sirens of ambulances and police cars were echoing through Saint Petersburg.

Mara found a quiet street where she stole a car and drove off towards her next destination: Washington D.C.