33 • Candy Cane Call

Deja texts me just as I jump out of Stella's car in my parents' driveway.

"Thanks, Stel!" I shout into the night.

I race up the front steps and check Deja's latest texts.

Train comin' <3

Am getting on now

U better get on Nik ;)

Jesus, D! I shake my head, laughing out loud.

My mom shouts hello as I enter the foyer and start removing my hat, scarf, and coat.

"Hi, mom!"

I lean down to remove my boots and I can already feel the soreness kicking in. It may have felt quite like riding a bike, but I will definitely regret skating in the morning.

"Perfect timing, honey." My mom says appearing in the kitchen doorway. "I'm finishing up the last batches of candy canes. Want to help?"

"Sure," I say, shrugging.

"Delightful." She retreats into the kitchen. I can tell she's surprised I don't put up a stronger fight. So am I, mom.

Our entire island is littered with baking trays, bowls of gooey taffy, food dye –and a tons of peppermint oil. I watch as my mom flattens a blob of taffy, slices a thin strip, and twists it into the perfect candy cane stick.

"Woah," I cough, waving the air. "Have enough mint?"

"Just about," mom answers, ignoring my sarcasm. "This is the last sheet. I'll cut and you can twist?"

I nod, taking the next reedy ribbon of white and red taffy. I twist it carefully and bend the end to make the classic J.

"What are these all for exactly? There must be hundreds." I survey the (multiple) cardboard boxes on the kitchen table.

"The Pear Tree Pageant tomorrow," she says plainly.

"Forgot that was tomorrow," I admit, forming my third candy cane.

"Will you be going?" Mom looks up, furtive.

"I'll probably go with Stella and Dani," I say, shrugging. "I think she said Logan will be in it."

"Oh, lovely. I wonder what he'll be. I heard third grade are the drummers drumming."

"Not sure," I frown. "Who plays the geese-a-laying?"

"Don't be smart," she hisses.

"So why the candy canes?"

"There's a small refreshment party in the hall after the pageant. Cookies, cocoa –you know."

Eggnog. I can't help myself.

Excitement courses through my veins just thinking about already seeing Nik again tomorrow night. 

"That's about it," my mom says.

I look down and realize I've already twisted about 20 candy canes. my fingers are sticky and coated in random globs of taffy here and there.

My phone buzzes on the counter. I quick-rinse my hands under the faucet and dry them on the striped hand towel. They still smell like peppermint.

I grab my phone and my heart stops when I see the caller ID.

Preston Wells.

A million things run through my mind: He can't be calling me. Why is he calling me? This is 100% a pocket-dial! Do I answer?

With one deep breath, I slide the green telephone over to answer to call. I wait until I am fully down the hall to speak.

"Hello? Preston?"

"Hi, Noelle." Preston's low, silky voice makes me weak in the knees even over telephone.

"You are calling me –from Hawaii. Why are you calling me from Hawaii?" I ask, my resolve faltering.

"I was thinking about you today. I guess I was –I wanted to check in." He sounds awkward and I can practically hear his pacing over the phone.

"You wanted to check in?" I repeat his words. But he dumped me!

"You called the other night and I never heard back, so..." He trails off.

Ah! I did call the other night.

"Well, I am fine, thanks." I sit on the edge of my bed, my heart hammering. I've been waiting what feels like weeks for Preston to call me to check in.

It's silent on the phone and I start to wonder if he'll say anything else. I pick at a big glob of taffy on my knuckles.

"So how's Hawaii?" I finally ask.

It's not that I want the answer to be horrible, but I wouldn't hate it.

"Hawaii is –sunny. To tell you the truth, I wish you had come." Preston's words catch me off guard.

"You wish I had come?" I ask. "You mean, that you hadn't told me not you?"

"I've been thinking about it a lot, Noe. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss this –us. I know it's not an excuse..."

I barely hear anything after he says 'us'. My mind is a total kaleidoscopic daze. I see moving shapes and disfigured faces and it takes me too long to realize Preston is calling my name.

"Noe? Noelle?"

I jerk back to the present and pick my phone up from my bed.

"I –You want to get back together?" I hear myself repeating his question. Well, re-asking his question.

"I think it's worth a discussion when I come home. We can have dinner?" Preston sounds hopeful.

"You..." I breathe into the phone. "Dumped me! Ruined my holiday! You broke my heart, Preston. You don't get to just unbreak it."

"Noe, you are right about everything. All I'm asking for is another chance to see where we both are. Dinner can't hurt us. Please," he implores.

Ugh! Dinner can too hurt us.

"Ok."

I hear myself agree to his demands, but it seems like a trivial pact. It's like when people say they'll take out the trash or fold the laundry or stop swiping left on dating apps.

Preston says good night and I hang up the phone.

I lay in bed wondering how this is happening. Five days ago, I'd have given my favorite sweater to hear Preston say he wants me back. And now here he is, saying it. Like some magical Christmas cupid-angel is answering my prayers.

My head's still swirling with twisty candy canes and creepy elves. It's like I'm still back on the ice with Nik.

Nik!