Chapter 4: Stark

"What, not even a 'hello' for your dear friend?" Tony responded as Mara entered the room, putting her gun back in its holster on her waistline. 

"We met one time at a party" she retorted.

 "So? That doesn't mean I don't deserve pleasantries"

Mara sighed. "Get to the point Stark, I kind of planned on going somewhere". "What did you kill someone again?" He joked. 

He stops laughing when he noticed Mara's blank face. "Noted... Anyway, I need your help" he continued.

"What could you possibly need my help with? We don't exactly do the same type of work." Mara questioned. "The Avengers are kind of going through a rough patch right now. A splitting into two kind of thing, you know. I want you on my side in this fight. Could use an extra trained assassin on the team."

"Extra assassin? Seems like you already have one to do my job." "Even though Natasha is an excellent asset, I need you and your skill set."

"I'm a killer Tony, I don't do the superhero thing you all do. So if that's all, please leave." She concluded, leaving Tony with a frown on his face.

"You are not just a killer. You knew I was the person in your apartment without even seeing me. I need that in order to stop Cap." He said, trying to convince her. 

"You always wear the same strong cologne. It was an easy tell, so don't make it bigger than it is. And I'm not going to help you tear your precious team apart."

Tony started looking defeated. "I'm not trying to tear the team apart, I'm trying to keep it together." "By asking a trained assassin to stop one of the leaders of your team? Doesn't really sound like it to me. Besides, I don't work well with others. I prefer working on my own."

"Look you owe me after that favour I did at the party. Otherwise, you would not be walking around as a free woman today Mara." She sighed, realising the point he was making. 

Mara was undercover at that party five years ago in order to learn more about her next target from Hydra. Stark, however, somehow uncovered her intentions and stopped her. He could have gotten her arrested, but instead tried to talk her into joining the good side. 

She refused and managed to fight her way out of the party, not forgetting to kill her target in the process. Luckily, Stark did not have his Iron Man suit with him. Otherwise, she would undoubtedly be captured.

After that party, she was tortured by Hydra guards as a punishment for blowing her cover and almost ruining her mission. She was used to torture, but not used to failure. She vouched to never fail another mission again. 

She got lucky that the downfall of many Hydra bases led to her escape, but she knew they were still around. She knew it would be better to work amongst the Avengers, because they could help keep her safe and she wouldn't have to be on the run for a while. However, this also came with the risk of returning on Hydra's radar.

She sighed. "Alright, I'll help you out. But I'm not joining your group. I'm just helping you out this one time, because I owe you." "Yes! That's great! We are so going to catch Steve with your help." He exclaimed. 

"Pack your things and then we'll go take a quinjet to Leipzig." Mara decided not to question why they had to go to Leipzig of all places, but instead grabbed her stuff and walked out of the door with Tony.