Chapter 10: Going home

Mara sat down at the back of the quinjet, across from Wanda. She sat alone for a while observing Wanda, before Natasha came and sat next to her. Mara looked at the redhead and gave a faint smile in acknowledgment.

"I wanted to apologise again for electrocuting you. I shouldn't have betrayed you like that." The redhead said. "That's okay. I understand why you did it. I was kind of upset that it nearly took away my freedom though" Mara confessed.

"Where are you planning on going?" Natasha asked. "I don't know yet. I've been running for a while now..." The brunette started thinking about her options and came to one conclusion. 

"I'll probably head back to The Netherlands. It's where I was born and I speak the language, so probably there."

"Makes sense," Natasha said. "But you have a Russian last name. How does that come about?" She questioned.

"My dad is Russian and my mom is Dutch. So I have a Russian last name and I speak both languages fluently." Mara explained. The redhead nodded in response.

"What about you? Any idea where you'll be heading off to?" Mara asked in return. "I'm heading back to the compound first, to train the new recruits. But I also have some family business I need to attend to. I'll probably be in Eastern Europe for that." Natasha stated. 

Mara nodded whilst looking into the redhead's eyes. She smiled at her in recognition of her words.

"If you want to keep in touch, let me know. Might not be a bad idea to have another assassin as backup" Mara joked, causing the redhead next to her to chuckle. 

Her laugh caused something to stir in Mara's stomach, which she did not recognise and opted to ignore. 'I'm probably just hungry' Mara thought.

"I'll keep that in mind. Here, let me give you the number for my burner phone." Natasha said with a smile. Mara nodded, handing Natasha her own old Nokia phone. She noticed Natasha's look. 

"These are not as easy to hack or trace" she stated, scratching her neck as she tries to justify why she had such an old phone.

"This will do just fine." She smirked as she put her number in Mara's phone before handing it back. "Tony can also give you one of his high-tech phones if you want. Those are brand new and impossible to hack." The redhead continued. 

Mara smiled back. "I don't need one now, but maybe when Tony needs my help in the future." Natasha nodded, both falling into a comfortable silence.

"Mara, we have arrived at your stop!" Clint yelled towards the back, snapping Mara and Natasha out of their comfort. "Which is where exactly?" Mara asked. 

"A place called Gr...Gro...Gron.." Mara laughed at Clint's struggle to pronounce the city name.

 "You mean Groningen? She asked him, pronouncing it perfectly. "Yes, that." He mumbled in response.

Maya stood up and turned towards the redhead with a smile on her face. "Guess that's my cue" she said. 

"I guess so. Don't forget to stay in touch." Natasha said, matching Mara's smile. "I won't" she said, bringing the redhead into a quick hug.

Mara continued to say goodbye to the rest of the team, before walking out of the quinjet. The jet took off, leaving Mara to survive on her own again.