chapter one: 12 hour shift

• • •
Tayla

     If I had one wish, it would be to go back in time and slap my younger self for ever changing my major to nursing. I'm kidding, I would slap my younger self for many other reasons.

     When I told everyone I wanted to go into nursing I obviously was supported no matter who I told. The nursing field is always in need of workers no matter where you go, so anyone I have ever spoke to would give me the same type of answer, "That's amazing! You will always have a job no matter where you end up." And they are all right because after many many many years of school, I've finally ended up with the job I want, in the place I've always wanted.

     Chicago has been my home since the day I finally became a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthesiologist. Yeah I know, you are allowed to be impressed. I've been around the country a lot for school. I obtained my BSN at UCLA School of Nursing and then ended up moving all the way across the country to attend the anesthesiologist program at Duke University where I received my Doctor of Nursing Practice in Anesthesia (DNAP) Degree. When all that was said and done I obtained my certification and officially became a CRNA. I decided I needed to find a place called home, and in my mind the only place I wanted it to be was Chicago.

     Part of me still thinks I'm insane for ever wanting to specialize in anesthesiology. Many nurses simply just receive their BSN and become registered nurses and just stay in a certain specialty, but of course, being the try hard I am, I wanted to go the extra mile. Let me tell you, it was never easy. The years I spent basically missing out on my early twenties were the most crucial of my whole life. I would spend almost everyday in my dorm studying and reading up on any extra knowledge I could. I didn't just want to become a CRNA, I wanted to be one of the best.

     From the moment I was born my parents held me to the highest standard possible. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family that had wealth, and I don't doubt for a second that without the opportunities that my family's privilege gave me, I wouldn't have been as successful as I am. I am my family's first born and only daughter. I have two younger brothers Owen, who is two years younger than me at 24, and Matthew, who is 18. I was constantly told that I needed to be a role model to my younger brothers, that as the eldest and only daughter I must show what it takes to be a leader, as well as a proper young lady. Don't get me wrong, I know how old fashioned that sounds, but that's just something I have always had to uphold in my family.

    My parents and Matthew are still located in California, where Matthew still attends high school and Owen is in New York, who is an executive editor for Times Magazine. Needless to say Owen and I really tried hard to uphold the Madden name. I believe we both are doing pretty well at that. I do miss my brothers. I rarely see Owen, other than during major events for my family, and Matthew is a senior in high school still so I see him when I visit my parents. Being a CRNA really does have it's benefits. I typically work two 24 hour on call shifts per week or four 12 hour shifts and during my days off I'm able to fly back to California to help my parents with anything they need.

I am currently on hour eleven out of twelve of my shift today and I can not wait to go home. I'm busy working on some post-op rounds currently. I've had a couple surgeries today and I am monitoring one women who is in labor's epidural. It's been an a decent night, not too many patients which I am living for. I like the slower nights, it gives me a chance to really spend time with each of my patients and hopefully make a connection with them.

"Hey T. Got a second?" I look up from my station and see my fellow coworker, and favorite person on this planet Lindsey, staring back at me.