Chapter 14: Finally getting a lead

After days of thorough research and contacting every database they knew, the two assassins finally got a lead. "Nat! Nat!" Mara yelled running into the bedroom of the cabin they resided in. 

Natasha sat up in the bed. "What's up?" The redhead asked. 

"Daniel Whitehall. He appears to be alive." Mara said.

"That can't be. Didn't Coulson kill him a few years ago?" Natasha asked. "You'd think so." Mara answered. "But he was spotted on a security camera by one of our databases. Facial recognition is a 65% match." She explained. 

Natasha thought for a moment. "I guess it's worth a shot. Do you have a lead on his location?"

Mara handed her laptop to Natasha. "He was last spotted in Phoenix, Arizona." "Then Phoenix is where we're going. Pack your bags, I'll get plane tickets."

Mara smiled as she walked over to their closet. They had gotten used to being around each other in the one-bedroom cabin. So far, Mara took the couch whilst allowing Natasha to sleep on the bed.

She did however begin to grow an urge to be closer to Natasha. A feeling she was unfamiliar with. Little did she know that Natasha felt that same urge. However, Natasha was still under the belief that love was for children. 

So the two women struggled with a feeling they were both unfamiliar and uncomfortable with. Both of the women decide not to act on it out of fear for themselves as well as a fear for rejection from the other.

"There. Plane tickets are booked." Natasha said as she set the laptop aside and joined Mara in packing their bags. The two shared a smile and realised they were now standing quite close to one another. 

Natasha quickly took a step back and tried hiding a slight blush that rose to her cheeks. Mara thought nothing of it and continued packing her bag.

Once the two women finished packing, they left the cabin and made their way to the airport.

After a smooth security check, the women made their way onto the plane and took their seats. Both of them were very used to flying long distances, so neither had any issues during the flight. 

At some point during those 15 hours, Mara had fallen asleep on Natasha's shoulder. The redhead smiled down at the peaceful sight of the sleeping brunette, once again getting the familiar fluttery feeling in her stomach.

She tried her hardest getting rid of the growing feeling, but it because increasingly difficult the longer the two stayed together. During one night, when the two went to bed, Natasha almost offered Mara to sleep in bed with her. 

She realised that the couch must not have been comfortable, but she was too afraid the brunette would get the wrong idea or reject her.

When the plane finally landed, Mara woke up on Natasha's shoulder. "Oh, sorry about that." she muttered whilst rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. 

"That's okay. I'm glad you got some sleep." Natasha responded with a smile. They made their way out of the airplane and got into a taxi towards a motel.

Once the two arrived, they opened their room and saw that there was only one twin bed. "I can sleep in the chair if you want" Mara offered. 

"Don't be an idiot. We can sleep in one bed." Natasha said while trying to hide a smile. Would this be what finally brings the two women together?