Chapter 15: Motel nights

Once Mara and Natasha settled in the motel room they decided to research Whitehall. 

"The security camera spotted him in Phoenix near some office building. So it is likely he's in that area. I suggest we try do some form of a stakeout at that building and see if we can spot him." Mara stated. Natasha nodded in agreement.

Mara looked at the time and saw that it was already midnight. "Alright. Let's go to bed and get a few hours of sleep before we get started." 

She got up from the chair and made her way over to the bathroom getting ready for bed. Natasha stayed in the main room and got changed into her pajamas.

Once they were both ready, they climbed on the twin bed. They opted to sleep on their side with their backs to one another to avoid any awkwardness. "Goodnight Nat" "Goodnight Mar" they said to each other and soon they both drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

About four hours later, Mara woke up. She still only slept about four hours a night. When she woke up, she noticed that there was a weight on her waist. She rubbed her eyes and looked down. 

Apparently, somewhere during the night Natasha turned around and wrapped her arm around Mara's waist. The brunette smiled and decided to remain still, not disturbing the redhead's sleep.

After another hour Natasha began to stir and soon woke up. She felt a body in her arms and opened her eyes fully. She saw that her arm was wrapped around Mara and tried to hide the smile that was forming on her face. "Good morning" she heard Mara say.

"How did you know I was awake?" "You began stirring, so I made an educated guess" Mara said as she turned around to face Natasha. They smiled at each other and looked into each other's eyes for a moment before Mara got up and headed to the bathroom for a shower. 

She rarely got to take a hot shower, so she was savouring this moment. She washed off all the hidden dirt and blood that she did not manage to get out of her hair in the past weeks due to not being able to take full showers.

When she was finished, she walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body. She noticed that Natasha was looking her over. 

"You like what you see?" Mara smirked. "I certainly don't mind it" Nat fired back as she walked towards the bathroom, leaving Mara slightly speechless. Instead of saying something, Mara just opted for a soft smile.

Once they were both finished getting ready, they walked out and looked for a vehicle they could 'borrow'. They found an old grey van that was easy to get into and hotwire.