Chapter 28: Let the procedure begin

(A/N: Just ignore that it's Bucky in the picture...)

The three of them made their way back inside, where T'Challa excused himself and got back to doing king stuff. Mara had no clue what exactly he did, but she could only guess it was important.

Mara and Shuri walked through a modern flat as they discussed the upcoming schedule. "We will let you get settled today and tomorrow as we start preparing you for treatment. We will begin the treatment itself on Wednesday." Shuri explained.

"How long do you think the entire process will last?" Mara asked hesitantly, afraid of the possible answer. "Well our first treatment with the Winter Soldier lasted almost a year, but we still had to figure everything out in that time." The young scientist began.

"I'm guessing yours will likely take around two months, since we already know what treatment should work and how to perform the ceremony. But I cannot guarantee any of it, so please do not take this as a fact." She said, looking up at the assassin, who nodded in return.

"Why are you so eager to return to New York, if I may ask?" Causing a smile to form on Mara's face. "I would like to get back to Natasha, my girlfriend, as soon as possible."

Shuri chuckled "so, you and the infamous Black Widow? Quite the pair." She said while making strange movement indicating fighting poses.

Mara knew what she meant and let out a small laugh. She knew Natasha and her were both considered by many to be cold-hearted assassins and that it was indeed strange that the two found love in each other, but she knew that both her and Natasha were softies deep down.

"Yeah, I guess you can say that. We truly were made for each other in that sense." She chuckled.

They continued walking until Shuri stopped in front of a door. "This is where you'll be sleeping during your stay here." She said as she opened the door.

It was a nice room, similar to a hotel room. It was just as modern as the rest of the Wakandan architecture and Mara knew she would be very comfortable here.

"I'll let you unpack your things and get settled. I will come back to get you for dinner." Shuri told her as Mara admired the room.

"Thank you Shuri, for showing me around and helping me get settled. You are all incredibly welcoming despite my reputation." Mara said with a sad smile. Shuri stepped beside her and pulled her into a side hug.

"It doesn't matter who you were in the past. It matters who you wish to be in the future." And with that, she left Mara to get settled in the room.

She unpacked all her clothing, neatly putting them in the closet. As she moved through her things, she spotted a picture of her and Natasha. 'Strange' she thought, because she did not put that in there. She grabbed it and looked on the back.

She laughed as she read the message. 'This is for you to look at when you start missing me... Love, Natasha' God, she was such a weirdo.

She set the picture down on her nightstand and grabbed a book to amuse herself until it was time for dinner.

CHAPTER 28: Let the procedure begin

Before Mara knew it, Wednesday had rolled around. Today was the start of the procedure that was going to free her from Hydra indefinitely. She was nervous and excited at the same time.

Nervous because she did not know how the procedure was going to work and play out, but excited to finally have her freedom back after it.

She walked down to the medical centre, where Shuri and other scientists would be waiting for her. "Hey Shuri" Mara said with a smile as she walked into the room.

"Hello Mara! Are you ready to begin your journey to a free life?" She greeted back. Mara nodded excitedly.

"Alright. This here is called a Cryostasis Chamber" she said as she gestured to a glass tube looking object. "We will start by placing you in this, bringing your body temperature down to zero degrees Kelvin." Mara looked at her puzzled, having no clue what Kelvin was in Celsius. "-273.15 degrees Celsius" Shuri said, noticing Mara's look.

Mara's eyes widened at the number. How would those temperatures not kill her? "Is that safe?" She asked.

Shuri nodded. "It is. It just puts you in a hibernated state so we can examine your brain functions and figure out how to get rid of your trigger words." She explained. Mara was amazed at the knowledge this young girl possessed, but decided not to doubt her.

"Okay. How long would that take?"

"Until we find a way to remove Hydra's brainwashing and trigger words. I cannot put a time span on that." She said with a sad smile.

Mara nodded. She knew she needed to call Natasha before she was going to be hibernated. It may be a long time until they hear from each other again.

"Would you mind if I call Natasha before I go in the chamber just so she knows what's going on?" Shuri nodded in understanding. "Of course"

Mara thanked her and quickly walked out of the room for some privacy before grabbing her phone and calling her girlfriend.

Natasha: Hello?

Mara: Hey babe, it's me.

Natasha: Hi! Is it bad that I'm already missing you terribly?

Mara: It's the only thing I'd expect from my girlfriend.

Natasha: Shut up. Did you just call to chat? Isn't your procedure starting today?

Mara: It is and that's why I called... They have to basically hibernate me in order to understand my brain functions and how to get rid of Hydra's mind control.

Natasha: So you will be fully unconscious? For how long?

Mara: They aren't sure. That's why I wanted to hear you voice and tell you I love you before they start. We might not be able to talk for a long time.

Natasha: I love you too baby. I hope they'll figure it out soon, rather than later. Please call me as soon as you are out of the chamber.

Mara: I will. Take care of yourself Natasha and don't miss me too much. I told Steve to look after you as well and to take care of you so you won't feel alone.

Natasha: He is doing that, but it doesn't change the fact that you're not here in my arms.

Mara: I know baby, I'm sorry. I have to get back now. I love you and miss you so much.

Natasha: I love you too and miss you. Stay Safe.

And with that, Mara hung up the phone and walked back into the room whit Shuri's team in it. "Ready?" Shuri asked. "Ready" Mara responded.

Mara made her way into the chamber as Shuri closed the door. Mara could feel the airtight atmosphere she was now in and was glad she isn't claustrophobic. Even she was a little uncomfortable in the tight space.

She could feel the cold entering the chamber, which certainly did not feel pleasant. As the cold got worse and worse, Mara struggled to stay calm and silent. 

It was a fight against the cold and she could feel the cold winning.

Slowly but surely, her mind became numb and her eyes closed. Leaving Mara in endless darkness.