twelve

Daera watched Jay as he poured the chicken soup into each person's bowl. Grandma Song was serving bowls of rice to them. Sunghoon sat at Daera's right side and Jay sat at the left. Grandma Song took a seat between Mrs Hong and Mr Yoon who was sitting across from them.

"So, how old are you guys?" Mrs Hong asked excitedly. Jay and Sunghoon exchanged glances before answering, "Thirty," in unison. She blushed, "Daera, you're very lucky you have two handsome men around you."

Daera frowned and ate her rice silently. Grandma Song smacked Mrs Hong's back, "You're making them uncomfortable with your stupid questions."

"Ah, it's okay," Jay chuckled awkwardly. Mr Yoon was checking his phone before facing them, "Did you know something happened last night? Mrs Jung's daughter got raped last night near the empty alley. The one where the lamp posts were all broken."

"How is she now?" Daera asked worriedly. "Still traumatized. The rapist got away so we couldn't catch him," Mrs Hong sighed. Grandma Song looked at Daera, "You should never walk alone at night. Always have someone with you."

Daera nodded and thought about it for a while. Jay looked at Mr Yoon, "Is this the first time it happened?"

"Yeah. But still, we need to be careful. I already told the authorities to fix the lamp posts."

Jay was washing the dishes while Sunghoon was wiping the dining table. Daera looked at them but her mind was thinking about something. Sunghoon saw her and sighed, "Still thinking about the rapist?"

"I feel bad for Mrs Jung's daughter. She's still young. I think she's like 16 or something."

"I hope she's fine," Jay exhaled heavily. Daera went to the living room and turned on the tv. The news was on. Sunghoon widened his eyes when he heard the anchor say something.

At 5:35 pm today, the daughter of the AJ Group CEO, Ahn Suji was found dead in her bedroom. There were 6 stab wounds found on her chest and bruises around her neck. The police are still investigating this murder case.

He went next to her and sat on the couch, listening to the news. She looked at him confusedly, "What's wrong?"

"Ahn Suji, she was my ex-girlfriend."

Jay approached them and cupped his mouth in disbelief, "She got murdered?"

She glanced at them and looked at the tv screen, seeing the police going in and out of Ahn Suji's house. Sunghoon stood up, "I have a bad feeling about this. Remember Yoo Jiyeon?"

"Who's that?" She asked. "His another ex-girlfriend," Jay answered. Sunghoon continued, "She got beaten to a pulp the other day. And she said that she couldn't recognise the culprit because he was wearing a mask. And my one night stand whom I can't remember the name, she got assaulted the other night."

"So you're saying that your girlfriends got attacked. Only your girlfriends?" Daera folded her arms. Jay sighed tiredly, "Don't you think it's just a coincidence?"

"Maybe," Sunghoon lowered his gaze before going back to the kitchen.

Daera exhaled the evening breeze, holding a container filled with the meals that Grandma Song left for her. She decided to go to Mrs Jung's house to check on her daughter. It's what neighbours do. Look out for each other. She left the house secretly since Jay and Sunghoon were sleeping in her room.

She knocked on Mrs Jung's house and the said lady opened the door, smiling at her, "It's been a long time since I've seen you, Daera. Look at you, all grown up."

She moved to the side to let Daera in. She walked to the living room and saw the daughter, hugging herself while sitting on the couch. Her eyes were swollen and puffy from all the crying.

Daera smiled softly, "Aerin-ah. I brought your favourite food."

No answer.

She gave Mrs Jung the container before approaching the couch, taking a seat next to Aerin. She took a look at the girl's wrist. It was bruised, probably because the culprit was gripping it tightly when she was trying to escape.

"He's coming to get me," the girl mumbled continuously. She hugged Aerin and patted her back gently, "It's okay. The authorities are trying their best to catch the culprit. I heard that they're doing rounds every night around the neighbourhood. So you don't have to worry anymore."

Aerin cried in her arms, "I'm so scared."

Mrs Jung watched from the kitchen, preparing her daughter's meal. Daera sighed, "Your mother said you haven't eaten for the whole day. Please eat. You'll get sick if you don't."

Aerin nodded and watched as her mom put the meal on the coffee table in front of her. Daera took the spoon and fed her some rice. The girl obeyed and opened her mouth before munching the food.