Chapter 39

WARNING: this chapter does have graphic descriptions of torture in it that may be a trigger to some people. Please proceed with caution.

•Giovanni•

I groan and roll over, the sheets tangled around my waist as I reach out to pull Nolani against me but find the bed empty and cold. My eyes shoot open and I glance around the room, if it weren't for her pajamas and the used condom on the floor I would think last night was a dream. An amazing erotic dream. I rise from the bed, grabbing the condom off the floor and go to the en suite. After disposing the condom, relieving my bladder and taking a shower I brush my teeth and get dressed for the day with a smile on my face.

Cazzo last night was everything. I slept better than I have in a long time, I don't think I'll be able to sleep without her now. She belongs with me, in my bed, in my arms. I rub a hand down my face as I remember proposing to her with my head between her legs. I don't think I've ever been as desperate as I was in that moment. I just had this unwavering need to know she wasn't going anywhere.

I wonder how soon Mamma could plan the wedding, I ponder as I enter the kitchen where Nolani sits at the table, eating a bowl of cereal with one hand while holding Rome against her chest with the other. The sooner, the better.

"I can take him so you can eat." I say as I approach her.

"He's fine." She mutters, not bothering to meet my eyes.

What happened from the time we fell asleep to now? The last I remember she was melted against me, her naked body molded against mine as she fell asleep.

A frown tugs at my lips as I lean back against the counter. "What's wrong?"

She scoops up a spoonful of milk and cereal and then tilts the spoon, letting the contents slip back into the bowl before scooping up another spoonful just to repeat the process all over again. "Nothing."

"Nolani." I snap, growing irritated at her ignoring me.

Her eyes meet mine, anger making the dark orbs bright. "Where were you last night?"

That fucking question again.

I purse my lips. "I told you—"

"Yeah, you had to handle a problem." She cuts me off, emphasizes the word problem dramatically. "Does that problem of yours wear floral perfume and makeup?"

Guilt slams into my chest. Why would she ask that, where did that come from?

My jaw clenches. "Why would that matter?"

She lets out a dry laugh, her eyes falling to our son as he twitches in his sleep. "You're right, it doesn't."

"Cazzo." I mutter. "Nolani, what's going on?" I push off the counter and walk to the table, placing my palms on the tabletop and lower my gaze to hers. "I don't know unless you tell me."

She drops her spoon in the bowl, giving up on the act of pretending to eat and slouches in the chair. "Nothing I shouldn't have expected."

"What the hell does that mean?" I question, growing angrier by the second.

The motion detector goes off and then Nico enters the house. He immediately notices the tension in the room as he steps in the kitchen and frowns at me before looking at Nolani.

He gives her a smile. "Ciao, bellissima."

Her eyes are practically daggers as they meet Nico's. "Did you know where he was last night? What he was doing?"