Chapter 25: Crescent Moon

I walked to the dining hall with a hand over my head. I had a little headache since I woke up this morning in the apothecary. Tuwing inaalala ko kung saan ko ito nakuha, my memories of yesterday was a blurry.

Anabeth was already waiting for me at our usual table with a bowl of steaming soup in front of her. "Eat this," she instructed me, carefully sliding the soup in my direction nang maupo ako sa tapat niya. "It's  good for headache."

"Did something happened yesterday?" I asked, uncomfortable. "Did I eat or drink something bad?"

Her eyebrows shot up. "Your mind must still be foggy..."

Tumango ako. "A little."

"Well," she pursed her lips, the corners tugging up to a wicked smile. "We were fitting the dresses in the mansion, right? And you were supposed to go to Zanra's room for the box of ribbon."

Unti-unti kong naalala ang mga sinabi niya.

"It took you too long kaya sumunod ako. Guess what I saw?" Her eyes, they were almost sending sparks to my direction. "I saw you in Sir Zackary's arms as he brought you upstairs!"

Zackary?

Anabeth lightly swayed side to side, smiling widely. "Noong una, nagalala ako na baka may nangyaring masama sa'yo. But Zanra's aunt appeared from the patio and told me you were intoxicated or  something."

"Was I?"

I remembered the details now. Miss Lorraine, searching for something in the garden, staring at her eyes, falling into Zackary's arms... and him bringing me upstairs.

A gasp escaped my lips.

"What? What?" Anabeth leaned closer, excited at my sudden burst, eyes unblinking.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang maalala ang isang bagay. I was trying to unbutton my shirt in front of Zack... Zackary Van Zanth. My hands clasped my entire face in sheer embarrassment. What was I thinking?

"You're acting like you'd rather have the ground eat you up," smiled Anabeth.

I wished it did.

Buong umaga kong inisip ang nagawa ko. What did Zackary thought? Did he think I was weird?

Sa tower, naghahanda na ang karamihan sa mga staff para umuwi sa kani-kanilang mga bahay ngayong weekend. The transition was considered a holiday in town and since I considered the apothecary as  my home, I have nowhere to go so I watched them prepare.

Isa sa mga uuwi si Anabeth, kaya maaga palang ay inaayos na niya ang work station niya bago iwan. "I really have to go home this time," she told me. "You know, to welcome back our family hero, Uncle  Sebastian," she giggled.

It was nostalgic somehow, kahit si Zanra nabanggit ang bagay na ito tungkol sa kanyang ama. The family of the leaders who served for decades could finally regard them as they are, people beyond their  titles.

"Gusto mong sumama sa'kin?"

Umiling ako. "Okay lang ako dito." Hindi ako mag-iisa. May mga tao paring maiiwan sa apothecary, like the kitchen staff, the utilities and people who maintain the tower.

"Sa party na tayo magkikita bukas," paalala ni Anabeth. "Yong mga tinuro ko sa'yo, 'wag mong kalimutan. Style your hair up, wear make-up."

Panay ang paalala niya, pero sa iba lumilipad ang utak ko. "Anabeth," I mumbled. "Do you think the people still see me as an outsider?" I bit my lower lip. "I know I've been here for several months now. I've met a lot of people from the downtown to the farthest villages. But the people at the party, I know they're different. What if... they don't want me  there?"