25

Aniruddh had been sitting in the varanda, unaware of the verbal torcher his Bondita went through. He had been sitting feeling uneasy when Tapur decided to join him. He liked the little girl. Probably because she was the only one who seemed close to his wife. Being an year younger than Bondita, he might as well go ahead and say that she idolised her. This made him proud of both Bondita, for being the good example, and Tapur, to know what was good.

" What are doing here sitting alone jamaibabu ?"

" Just sitting...there is nothing to do here...!"

She just laughed politely.

" What do you do to pass your time Tapur ?"

" Me !? I help out with the house work and love to do gardening."

He knew studying was not going to come up in her list which again reminded him of the state of the society.

" Oh...and I help Thakuma with medicines !" She exclaimed in hopes of putting a good impression on her favourite jamai babu. Yes she lived with her other jamai babu in the same house but somehow the one she met on occasions was the one who had made her develop a level of respect and admiration. It worked.

Aniruddh, though knowing of the lack of education, was pleasently surprised to see that the girl had an interest in such a holding field. If it was given enough time and work, it could be a way for Tapur to become independent. Thakuma was the best example of it and he hated the fact that instead of being an inspiration to girls of her family, she used everything in her to bind them to walls of the house.

" That is really great Tapur...! Do you plan on continuing it ?" He meant further exploration and mastering of the skill as an occupation in future. She was 14, she could think of it.

" Don't tell anyone...but I want to keep learning it. It interests and excites me. And it really gives me a sense of fulfillment when someone comes and tells my Thakuma that her medicine worked. I hope I can feel that for my own self someday."

Aniruddh was delighted. He didn't want to press her on the issue of how she could use it as a path to an independent future, which ofcourse meant money in a way. He was just so happy to see she had a passion, in a house so constrictive. It was rare to see in a girl.

Now he understood why Bondita and Tapur went along so well.

Chandrachur passed by whose every move was now being watched by Aniruddh. Chandrachur didn't throw a glance at Tapur which made him at ease that the scum didn't have a bad eye on a girl he was living with under the same roof. But it made him all the more anxious that his sole target seemed to be Bondita.
Aniruddh felt he might be having way too strong a negative opinion on the matter but he couldn't help it. It was his Bondita.

And as if on cue, Bondita came into the picture. She was looking lost, seemed to be giving no thought to where she was going. She was about to cross paths with Chandrachur who seemed to have noticed her and her lack of orientation of her surroundings. Aniruddh was quick to leave his seat and head to her.

Chandrachur purposefully collided with Bondita. He had set this with an aim of catching her mid fall, wishing for some kind of contact with her. But though he raised his hands to reach her, she obviously was too close, Aniruddh came to her rescue. It was way too fast for both Bondita and Aniruddh to comprehend but as soon as Aniruddh realised what Chandrachur intended, his steps had quickened reaching Bondita instantly and as soon as she collided he held her elbow and pulled her to him, steading her with an arm around her back.

Shock could be seen clearly over Bondita's face. She looked up at him, he knew he was way too close way too suddenly.
Bondita didn't know why it felt it was too intemate a moment to be witnessed by someone else. All this could just be the crushing feeling she felt on knowing the details of her past. Being this close to her pati babu was making her feel things she didn't want an outsider to even get a hint of. She wanted to get away from here.