Chapter 39

My knees buckle as I stare at Monica. Sunil is by the corner puking his guts out. I fall down on the ground and crawl closer to the motionless body lying in the puddle of blood and cradle Monica in my lap while Rohan rushes to Sunil's aid.

"Monica," I whisper, tears rolling down my cheeks as I feel her body for any injuries.

My hands still when I find her naked from waist down. My hands still and I'm screaming I guess because in an instant Rohan is by my side.

"Sanju,"

"No no no, tell me they didn't! tell me they didn't do it Rohan,"

I'm hysterical in his arms as I sob out. I feel the urge to puke as I stare at Monica's body. I hear the ambulance approaching us, the medics rush and take Monica is taken into the ambulance.

"I'll go, get Sunil something to eat before coming to the hospital, okay?"

Rohan hesitates before nodding and kissing my forehead and I rush inside the ambulance.

"Ma'am are you hurt anywhere?" the medic asks me as he stares at my bloodied clothes and my trembling hands.

"N-no, I'm not hurt anywhere but just please make sure she's okay, I can't lose her, she-"

I can't even finish my sentence because I start crying. The medic offers me a few tissues and lets me cry as he looks over Monica. My trembling hands close around Monica's and I sob as I clutch it tightly in my hand.

"Please be okay Monica, please please just be okay,"

"Ma'am, there's a paper here," the medic says as he holds a bloodied paper.

'Next time you better not lose the case otherwise I won't hesitate to kill your daughter'

I'm trembling all over again as I finish reading the note.

°

I hold Sunil's hand as we sit outside the ICU. Rohan has gone to inform mom and dad.

"Sunil, can I go wash my hands?"

"Don't leave me alone for now Bhabhi, please just not for now," he begs.

I feel the familiar burn of tears and duck my head as I nod. I wrap my arms around him and that does it for him as he bursts out crying. I don't know how long we stay like that before Rohan joins us as he wraps both his arms around us. Some time later we hear footsteps approach us and mom and dad waste no time in embracing Sunil who just doesn't stop crying.

"Let's go get your hands cleaned, okay?" Rohan whispers in my ears.

I nod and Rohan cradles in his arms as he takes me to the washroom. He helps me wash my hands and then I just stand there staring at the mirror as the images of Monica's body flashes through my mind. My knees buckle as tears well in my eyes. Rohan notices that and wraps his arms around me, holding me to him as I start crying.

"What did Monica ever do? It was her sorry excuse of a father and yet she's being punished? What the fuck is wrong with this sick world?!" I scream.

I wash my face after I calm down and take a few deep breath before we walk out. I find dad taking to another doctor and mom is sitting on the bench, hugging her knees to her chest and Sunil is nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Sunil?"

"He just fainted, they just put him in this room," dad says as he points to the room in front of him.

"I told him that he'll only torture himself if he sits in the hospital, he's puked a lot since he saw the blood and hospitals are even worse," Rohan says as he sits besides mom.