Chapter 21

It was an hour after the incident in the living room. Xander had laid on his bed groaning in pain. His head was pounding badly. But it was something else that was bothering him more. For the first time in his life, he was feeling embarrassed.

He was feeling so bad about saying those words to Eva. He trusted what Susan had told him, so why was he feeling so bad??

Suddenly there was a knock on his door. "Go away." He growled and put his pillow on his face.
The door opened and he peeked from under his pillow only to see Eva walking in with a tray in her hands.

"What are you doing here??" He asked angrily and sat up.

"You must've had a bad headache." Said Eva without looking at him and put the tray on his desk and picked a glass and two pills and held them for Xander.

"I don't need your pitty." Said Xander and looked away.

Eva rolled her eyes. "Don't be such a child." She said. "You know I'm a nurse. I'm patient."

Xander sighed in annoyance and accepted the pills and swallow them with water. Eva sat on the foot of his bed. "My first husband and Alison's father died when Alison was eight." She said.

Xander frowned. "Did I say I love to hear your sorry life story??" He asked frustrated.

"He died one night because of overdose." Said Eva and Xander stared at her slightly shocked.
Eva looked at him. Her eyes were so sad that Xander was shocked. "He was a great father and husband. But then he began to smoke. First, it was just for fun as he would say, but then it increased and he couldn't stop it. Before he knew he had become addicted." She said. 

Xander was silently watching her. 

"You don't know how much it's hard to see someone you love fall like that. How much it hurts to look and not be able to do anything. After a while, he couldn't even work or think properly. He even hit Alison and Bella, even me. He then died and left us with so much debt that he had caused."

Xander was now clenching his fists. He didn't know why but he was angry with that man for daring to hit Eva and his daughters. 

Eva stood. "I once lost a loved one because of drugs. I don't want to lose another. And this time I will do anything to stop it." She then looked at Xander. "Don't do this to your loved ones. To your brothers and father who love you dearly. Don't let them lose you. Don't make them go through the same pain I went through. Don't do it for me. Do it for your family. If I'm the problem, I will go out of your life. I have made a mistake and that was marrying your father."

Xander frowned. "What?" He whispered confused.

"I selfishly did as my heart told me and unconsciously hurt people. My daughter has practically run away from this house because something bad has happened for her here and she refuses to tell me. You too are suffering and so are your brothers for seeing you like this. I will divorce your father. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow."

"What are you going to tell him?" Asked Xander feeling like throwing up.

Eva smiled at him sadly. "Don't be worried." She said softly. "I won't tell him a word about you. I told you. It is my fault."

She then turned on her heels and left the room. Little did she know his worry was not for telling his father about him.

Xander hid his face in his hands. "Fuck!" He whispered.

A moment later Damien walked in and leaned on the wall with his hands in his pockets. He had heard everything.

"Fuck off, Damien." Growled Xander.