𝟏. the beginning

WHITE FLAG

chapter one - the beginning
{ two months before season one }

THE RINGING FROM Kloe's phone was to be heard from the other room in her dorm

THE RINGING FROM Kloe's phone was to be heard from the other room in her dorm. She had just finished a test for drama, and now she had the entire weekend free with her 'boyfriend', Ryan. Doing drama for college sucked for her, but now, as a twenty-one year old, she had to do what her mother wanted her to do ever since her father passed away. Be successful.

The raven haired girl stumbled over to the dining table, where her phone was sitting, and read the name of who was ringing her. Zayn. Her older brother, Zayn. Subconsciously, she picked it up and swiped across to answer, only to hear shouts from the other end.

"Hello?" she greeted, confused as to why Zayn had been calling her.

"Kloe?! Kloe, is that you?!" Zayn yelled through into her ear, making the girl grimace.

"Yeah, it's me? What do you need?" her eyebrows drew together with confusion. "What's going on?"

"Have you looked outside?! Look out the window!" She felt herself begin to worry as she stepped towards the window.

"Holy shit,'' she muttered to herself. The things the girl saw were not things she wanted to see, her stomach churned at the sight of everything. She swallowed thickly, trying not to vomit to what she saw. There were screams, cries, people calling out for help. People were dying. In the most brutal way, too. People were eating other people. Alive. She had no idea what was going on.

"I'm coming to pick you up now! I'm with my friend, Glenn. You know, the guy I work with," Zayn informed. She didn't exactly know who Glenn was, but she had heard her brother talking about him at times when she visited him on the weekends. "Get things you need; food, water, toiletries, anything-"

"Zayn, what the fuck is going on?!" Kloe yelled through the phone, biting at her nails with fear, her eyes locked on all of the people that were now dying. Some of the people were people she'd met in class, and some of them were teachers.

"I- I don't know! It all happened so fast! People are getting eaten by dead people that come back! I know it sounds crazy!" her brother stuttered, loss of words. "Y- You know the bow and arrows Vickie got for your fifteenth birthday? Bring them! They'll come into good use," his voice suddenly lowered.

"Zayn, I'm not going to kill those people-"

"They're not people, Kloe! They're dead. Just- Just go pack. I'll be there in five!" he hung up. The girl slid her phone away from her ear, confusion, shock and fear running through her veins. Abruptly, she spun on her heel and grasped onto the backpack that was on the couch, and began to pack anything she needed. She held back the tears that were layering her dark brown eyes, causing her vision to go watery.