Rehearsals

In the days after the party, I began to prepare for the first of many concerts I'm holding in Orlando. I haven't had much time to talk to any of my friends since my manager has been rushing me through the usual rehearsal schedule.

My parents and manager keep a pretty tight itinerary when it comes to my performances. I have to do exactly what they have planned at the exact moment it has to be done. I have to check in with the costumes designer and make sure every outfit that I'm wearing for every performance is ready for me to change into whenever we switch songs. I have to help the band test the acoustics and sound in the stadium and make sure it sounds great and the instruments are working properly. Sound checks like that are always regular and I always have to make sure I'm on time so the band and prepare on their own after. It's a lot, but you get used to it after a while.

As of right now, I'm standing on stage waiting to do a soundcheck on my own without the band. All I have to do now is wait for the signal from the sound crew. I look up at the sound booth and see a thumbs up sticking up in the air, that's my sign to prepare myself for the music. The music began and I started to belt out the lyrics to my chart-breaking song, "Til the Sun Comes Up".

When the music faded and the crew cut the mic off, I heard cheering coming from the stands in front of me. I looked down and saw Adam, Dex, and Alyssa clapping and yelling from down below. I smiled and reached a hand down to help each of them up on stage.

 "That was awesome, man! Tonight's gonna insane!" Dex cheered, throwing an arm around my shoulders. 

"Yeah, O, you killed it!" Adam chimed in, crossing his arms over his chest with an appraising smile.

I looked down at my feet and then back up at the group. I was used to all the praise, but for some reason, whenever it comes from my friends, I feel a little self-conscious.

 "Thanks, guys," I turned my gaze over to Alyssa, "I hoped you liked it, even though it was only one song at a dress rehearsal." 

She smiled and nodded, "It was amazing! I've never been to something like this before. It's so exciting!" 

I smiled at her enthusiasm. It was cute. "Well, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Are you staying for the concert tonight?"

 "Yeah! I had to beg Adam to let me come, but he finally gave in."

Adam rolled his eyes good-naturedly, "You still haven't said thank you." 

Alyssa gave her brother a playful glare and said sarcastically, "Fine. Thank you." 

"You are so very welcome." I let out a laugh while Alyssa shook her head in slight disappointment and annoyance.

Dex quickly cut in before either of the siblings could say anything else. "Now that that's out of the way! Ver! This the last thing you have to do today?"

 "Sadly, no. I still have to meet my parents to do an interview, do a choreography check with the back-up dancers, do a quick fan meet-and-greet, and a bunch of other things that I doubt will get done today." 

Dex made a pouting noise while Alyssa said, "That seems like a lot to cram into one day. Don't you think you need a break once in a while?"

 "Me? Yes. My parents and manager? No." 

"Oh. I'm sorry."

 "It's fine. I'm used to it. Don't worry, okay?" She nodded, but I could tell that she still wanted to protest.

Before any of us could say anything else, Rick, my manager, walked up, shouting my name. "Oliver! Great song rehearsal! Now let's get a move on! We've got to meet your parents in ten minutes!"

 I sighed and answered back, "Ok, Rick, I'm coming." I looked back at my friends, "I guess I'll see you all tonight."

 "Guess so," Dex said sadly, moving away from me to stand next to Alyssa and Adam. 

"We'll text you whenever we make it back here," Adam piped up as Alyssa nodded in agreement. 

"Ok, see you guys," I said with a wave as I began to walk off with Rick.

As I moved away, I couldn't help but to look back at the group. Dex and Adam were facing each other talking, but Alyssa was watching me. I met her eyes and gave her a warm smile. A light blush painted her face as she smiled back and gave a wave of her own. I turned back around and kept following Rick, allowing my smile to stay on my face. I can't wait for my performance tonight, I have to make sure to bring my A-game.

I wouldn't want to humiliate myself in front of her.