Chapter XLVIII: Complications

3RD POV-

Klaus, Elijah, Finn and Kol all burst through the hospital doors, frantic, looking around for Damon. Once they had spotted him they sped over to him.

"What's going on?! Where is she??!" Klaus growled out. Damon held his hands up.

"The nurse wouldn't let me back since I'm not family, and she was on vervain, shockingly enough. They took her back to a room and haven't said anything." Damon told them.

"Why didn't you force them to let you go back?!" Finn snapped, he was in full on panic on the inside. Worried about his mate more than anything.

"I wasn't about to make things more complicated. All that matters is that they are taking care of Hilda." Damon gritted out, obviously annoyed for the originals to be mad at him. "Besides! I'm not the one who noticed Hilda having pains and took her to get ice cream." Damon said, tilting his head to look at Kol, his eyebrows raised. Kol growled lowly at him, eyes going black in rage.

"You knew!?" Klaus snapped, turning on his brother. "You knew she was in pain and let her walk all the way to some ice cream parlor?!" Kol stepped towards Klaus, ready for anything.

"She said it was indigestion. How was I supposed to know it wasn't??? What would you have done?? Huh, Brother?? Would you have panicked?! Or would you have taken your mate to get some ice cream to make her happy??" Kol snapped back, snarling at his older brother. Elijah stepped in, pulling Klaus back as Finn pulled Kol back.

"Enough." Elijah told them. "Put your anger aside, we are in a public place and our mate is back there, hurt. Quit raging some idiotic war against each other." He snapped, releasing Klaus and moving to speak to the lady at the front desk. "Excuse me. My pregnant fiancé is back there, our friend brought her in and I was wondering if I could go back there with her." The woman smiled at him and nodded.

"Name?" She asked, typing on her computer.

"Her name is Hilda Alfson." Elijah spoke calmly. His brothers and Damon watching a bit shocked. Damon because he just said Hilda was his fiancé and he knew she wasn't. The brothers because they didn't think of that first.

"Alfson? That's ironic. We have a Doctor Alfson. I wonder if there's any relation. She's in room 304 if you'd like to go back. I believe the doctor is with her now." The woman told him with a smile and handing him a visitor sticker. Elijah thanked her before going back to his brothers and Damon.

"Find out who this Doctor Alfson is. It could be her brother." Elijah told them before leaving them there to figure out how to even get the doctor out there.

-

Currently, Hilda was laying in a hospital bed, having been admitted. Her eyes widening as Elijah walked into her room, instantly moving to her side and grabbing her hand.

"What happened, Astin? Why didn't you tell us you had pains?" He questioned her. Hilda sighed softly, adjusting the hold he had on her hand since she had an IV hooked to her. The things the doctor said still floating in her mind.

"I really did think it was just from the nachos..I-" She took a deep breath, tears welling up in her eyes as she looked away from Elijah. She was confused and in a state of shock.

"Hilda.." She snapped her gaze back to him at her name leaving his mouth, a bit shocked to have heard it. "What is wrong?" He asked. Hilda took a deep breath, unsure how to tell him the news she had been told, but before she could even open her mouth to tell him there was a knock on the door, a nurse coming in with an ultrasound machine.

"Hi! Hope I'm not interrupting. This must be the baby daddy. I'm Nurse Vivian. It's nice to meet you." The over enthusiastic nurse said happily as she brought the machine over to the other side of the couple.

"Um- Elijah Mikaelson. I'm Hilda's fiancé. Can you tell me what's wrong?" He asked, looking to the nurse for some information as she lowers the blanket and lifts the dressing gown off Hilda's belly. "Is the baby okay?"

"We're about to check!" She exclaimed, "This may be hot." She warned Hilda as she squirted the gel onto her stomach, pressing the wand against her to rub it around before looking at the black and white picture. "Ahh! There you are!" She said happily looking at a blob that popped up. "So you seem to be about- 28weeks along.. Does that seem about right?" She asked. Hilda nodded, avoiding eye contact with Elijah.

"And

"And..." She moved the wand around more, searching for something it seemed. Elijah watched, confused until she stopped, a smile on the nurses face. "This is such an odd and rare occurrence, but there it is!" She pointed to a much smaller blob, "Looks to be about 8 weeks along." She said with a huge smile. Elijah froze, turning his gaze to Hilda as he awaited an explanation.

 Elijah froze, turning his gaze to Hilda as he awaited an explanation