Chapter 169: Burning

Hunter's P.O.V.

All I can do is just look at the picture in front of me along with this note. Just sitting here on my bed while gazing at the two pieces of paper. The note tells me they were my parents. Not biological, but they wanted to keep me. And at the end of the note says it was written by Demante. Though it may make me happy, it still makes me feel sad. And the note says I can't see them. But why?

The note also says not to tell Belos. All I do is just stare at it still.

.

.

.

And once the day ends while I'm back in my room, I go to stare at the photo some more as my curiosity can't seem to be satisfied. But seemingly out of nowhere, footsteps are heard within my hearing. Getting panicky at the thought of my uncle seeing this, I fall off the bed in frantic movements. And just as the door opens, I roll the pieces of paper into a ball before hiding them behind my back.

"Hunter. I think you're old enough to finally wield- ... What are you hiding?" My uncle has entered the room while holding that white and gold staff, obviously noticing me having my hands behind my back. "I... I..." Not able to come up with an excuse, he walks right up to me and reaches behind my back, pulling out the pieces of paper and straightening them out from their sphere forms.

All while he reads it, I just freeze up. "Parents? These aren't your parents." Is all he tells me while walking out of the room. And so I follow him nervously. "Wait! Uncle- wait!" And while I constantly beg for him to give the pieces of paper back, he ignores before asking who gave me these, then reading the note which had the name at the end. Just as he whispers 'Demante' to himself, I answer him just in hopes to be rewarded for it.

"Demante, hm?" And just as he walks to one of the lit flames, I feel myself tear up. "No! Please don't burn it!" And he looks back at him. "Don't cry. You shouldn't be crying over this. Can't be your parents." All I want now are just those papers while the tears stream down.

"Please don't burn it! I'll do anything!" And he replies with "But I have to- and please stop crying." He extends an arm to my face, wiping my tears. "Emotions like these are a hindrance. And I can't have people thinking my future guard is weak like this." I'll be a future guard? "And you don't want to end up like a covenless witch, would you?" And all I can reply with is "No..." With my voice breaking into a squeak. And he rolls the papers into a ball before throwing them into a fire.

And I cover my mouth with a muffled gasp, the tears racing down even more. My uncle wipes my tears yet again. "I promise when you look back on this memory, you'll be proud of how far you've come."

(Spelling? How was it?)