Chapter 25

Chhapter 25: Letters From Tom

Ah, my audience has returned. Welcome back. I would like to say that I love how so many of you keep coming back to this story. You all have my most heartfelt thanks for your loyalty to this beloved story. I am sorry for the long wait but I did warn you all that I have gotten busy.
N

ow onto the story, I do not own Harry Potter…at all.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
"Talk"
'Think'
"Parseltongue"
Chapter 25 – Letters from Tom
Harry woke at 6 am on the dot. His Pack was still asleep around him. It took five minutes for him to get out from the bed and not wake the others. He changed into a pair of sweat pants before proceeding to the training room. In the training room his body moved through his morning routine but his mind kept thinking over the day before.
He had only known one thing about dementors and it was they were creatures who guarded Azkaban. He had read absolutely nothing else on them and it unsettled him. They were strong. The idea that he had died fighting against just one of them came back to him. He died. Harry's body stopped in the middle of workout. The image and feeling of the train came back to him. When he spoke, even as quiet as he was they froze. They froze like they didn't expect to ever hear him again. Another thought hit him full force. Ramus said they did everything they could but nothing worked. He was dead for five minutes. He woke after they realized they couldn't bring him back. How? You can't cheat death. If he died he should have stayed dead. Harry's body picked up where it left off.
He couldn't understand it at this moment so he pushed it to the side for later and moved onto when he was fighting the dementors. No, before the dementors even entered the room. He had felt the cold. The sensed them in the same way that he had, hadn't at least not until the creature had opened the door. He had felt them. Felt the cold. Even now he could still feel the cold ice running through his veins and core mingling with his power. Fire and ice flowed, swirling together but never mixing, never fighting. His power wasn't weakened by the ice and the ice wasn't scorching like when it first entered him. Why? Was it normal? He needed to find out.
"Alpha?" Harry's mind slammed into his body and back into the real world. He pulled up from the crouch he was in and turned to the door. The whole Pack stood there. Just watching and waiting like they were expecting to wake up any minute to find him standing there was just a dream.
Harry sighed, closing his eyes. What could he do? They were worried. They needed to see he was fine. They needed to see that he hadn't changed and he wasn't leaving them. He opened his eyes. They hadn't moved. They were still watching, waiting.
"What's the plan Alpha?" Draco asked. They were waiting for him.
"How about spending the day in our rooms? I have reading I want to catch up on and I know Neville wants to put the green house together. We'll have one of our lazy days." Harry took note of the tension ease for everyone. "How does that sound?"
Ginny jumped up and down, "I'll call a house elf to bring us food we can munch on." She turned on her heels and ran out of the doorway.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry watched his Pack laughing in the common room. Different foods were spread out on the table in a small buffet and plenty of butterbeer to go around sat on the floor. Harry turned back to the quarter sized quartz stone in his hands. He pushed his magic into the stone, slowly molding the stone like it was clay. Thoughts felt like they were choking him. He needed something to distract him but nothing he did helped.
"Alpha?" Ginny called. He looked up at her. She sat beside the table on the floor instead of sitting on the couch like the others. "Why is it none of us have ever sworn our loyalty to you?"
Harry was momentarily stunned at the randomness of the question. "Because we all share a bond. That is more than enough to show loyalty, not just to me but to all of us. That's all the proof of loyalty I need. "
Ginny raised her chin in a stubborn way. She didn't seem to like his answer. She rose to her feet only to fall on one knee at his feet. "I, Ginevra Molly Weasley, do so declare my loyalty to one, Harrison James Evans Potter; sound of mind and of my own free will. I do so swear to be loyal to my Alpha, never to betray him by word or action, willing or unwilling. By my magic and life, so mote it be." Harry felt magic accept the oath and felt the bond between them urge him on. He set his hand on the back of her neck. His magic danced along her skin and sank deep, accepting her oath. When he pulled his hand away he didn't see the circular knot that all his marked received but a Celt knot that looked like a crescent moon. Ginny stood with her head held high and a large joyful smile on her lips.
After that one by one his Pack bowed at his feet reciting the same oath that Ginny did and every time he marked them the crescent moon knot was at the base of their neck. Harry smiled as he marked the last of his Pack. Draco stood with a smirk, his left hand going to smooth over his mark. Harry laughed, breathless. This was his loyal elite, his Pack.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry sighed for the third time since he had woke up. Luna had decided that since they spent the day before cut off from the outside world that they needed to go see how Remus and Sirius had settled in and get them their Pack bands. He had spent a few hours making the bands and deciding if he wanted to bring Severus and Minerva into the Pack the night before.
"Milord Alpha." Ginny tugged on the back of his robe. He hummed to indicate that he was listening. "Are we going to start up our training again?"
Harry nodded. "If that is what you all want, I will start up our training again but you will have to ask Salazar and Rowena when they want to start their training up. We can start after breakfast."
She gave a happy hum at the answer. The rest of the walk was silent. From time to time he would feel Hermione squeeze his right hand and Draco brushed up against him more than normal but he paid it no mind knowing that they were still settling from his death.
Luna ran into the defense room when it came into sight. They caught up to her inside of the room where Sirius and Remus were laughing at something she had said to her. "Now I have a very important question for you two."
Remus, with a smile still on his face, nodded. "What important question do you have Luna?"
"Do you want to help save magic?" Harry felt like face palming. Luna for her part just stood there patiently waiting for an answer.
Remus shot Harry a weary grin over her shoulder. "What do I need to do?"
Ginny jumped in before Harry could. "Loyalty oath to Harry."
This time Harry did drop his face into his hand. "Pack, he doesn't need to do that." His voice was muffled but they all heard him. Ginny twisted around to glare at him, even though he didn't see it through his hands.
"He doesn't think the Pack needs to swear but the rest of us did so we gave our oath yesterday." Ginny turned back to the two men. "Sirius can wait until he is better as Harry refuses to have anyone swear if they don't have complete understanding of what the oath entails but you can swear it now."
Remus blinked surprised that Ginny was so blunt. He knew about the oath and marks. He also knew about the magic problem as Harry had told him everything, but he never expected someone to just be so blunt about the subject. "Uh…I have no problem swearing an oath or receiving the mark that goes with it."
"Good." Luna and Ginny chirped together. Harry just sighed, pulling his head out of his hands.
Remus kneeled and gave his oath like the others did the day before. Harry sent his magic into the back of Remus' neck and the same crescent moon mark appeared. Remus stood with a smile, lightly touching the new mark on his neck. Harry sighed but couldn't help smile himself. He handed Remus both his and Sirius' Pack band before reminding everyone that they need to make it to breakfast.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry paused at the entrance to the great hall. He blinked, thinking he was seeing things. The image stayed the same. Someone had decided that they wanted the tables to be rearranged because instead of Slytherin on the far left then Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and last Hufflepuff on the far right; the Gryffindors were on the far left with the Ravenclaws next, then the Slytherins and the Hufflepuffs still on the far right. Harry looked closer to find that his Snakes and Ravens were mixed together at the tables.
Hermione laughed, "Look at that Alpha. You united the two houses in a way that they have never been before."
"And look," Fred nudged Harry to look up at the teachers. "They all look proud. Well, all but Dumbledore." He was right the teachers were looking out at their students with pride in their eyes. Dumbledore was the only one not please. He wore the grandfatherly smile but his eyes were dark in anger.
"You have the Lions on your side soon too. Everyone knows you're Lord Gryffindor so they'll turn to you for leadership." George grins, proud of his Lord Alpha.
"Just one more thing that's going your way." Ginny giggled, a light and haunting sound, as she looked out at the hall in delight. The Pack just grinned in return.
Harry led the way to the Ravenclaw table. He nodded to all who called out in greeting. He stopped in the middle of the table where seats were left open for the Pack and their king. Breakfast was a pleasant affair. The snakes and Ravens around the Pack enjoyed freely speaking to them. Towards the end of the meal cries from owls announced the arrival of mail. Harry ignored them knowing his Aunt wouldn't be sending him anything so early in the week. With that in mind he was unprepared for the black envelope that fell beside his plate with his full name written out in bold emerald ink. Harry sent his magic out to scan the letter of anything harmful. It was clean. He slipped it into his bag to read when he got back to the rooms.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
"Alright children let's get back to work. How many of you continued to meditate during the summer?" Helga asked the moment they made it through the door. When all of them gave a positive to meditating she smile brightly. "Good. Can you all find your core?" Again a positive from all. "If that's the case I want to move onto the next step then. You have found your core but now you need to find your magic. Somewhere in your core is where your magic is bonded to your body and soul."
"Our magic? How will we know if we find our magic or not?" Neville asked confusion clearly written on his face.
Rowena looked amused next to Helga. "Tell me Neville. When you cast a spell can you feel your magic?"
"Yes." Neville nodded. "It feels steady and strong."
"That is how you will find your magic. The feeling you feel when you cast magic is the same feeling you will feel when you find your magic in your core." Rowena explained.
While Neville and Hermione wanted to ask more questions they pushed them away to sit on the floor with the rest of the Pack. Harry was the first to fall into his core, his heart. His magic was never hard to find. As a child he used to pull his magic around him like a blanket. Its fiery warmth made him feel like he could survive anything that came his way. He found his heart, the hidden park grove; he pulled his magic to him. It felt different, as it has been since the dementor attack. It didn't feel like the fire it once was. It had combined with the ice that had invaded his veins. He truly didn't know how to describe it. They moved and mixed together but didn't combine into one thing, like a salad.
Harry felt like laughing at the imagery of his magic like a salad but he couldn't think of how else to put it. He pushed the thoughts away to just feel his changed magic. The ice didn't feel like it was foreign. It answered to his call just like his fire did, and it didn't hurt him. It was almost like… a gift in a way. Like when you win and receive a gift you didn't know you earned. He didn't know how else to describe it. It was his and it wasn't going to hurt him in anyway. He did know that much.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry relaxed back into his seat. They finished their meditation for the day and the founders dismissed them. Amara had left to go see Elmeca down in the chamber of secrets and Nightshade had found her way into the Green house with Neville and Luna. Hermione was in the library researching about the diary, even though she didn't know it was the diary. The twins and Draco were in the lab making potions that the Pack might need in the future. Ginny was in the training room working with her daggers. Harry sat alone in the common room in his chair just watching the fire. He pulled his bag up into his lap to look for a book to read when the black envelope he received that morning caught his attention. He had almost forgotten about it. He opened it after one more scan with his magic.
Lord Harrison Evans,
Congratulations on taking up your lordship little Alpha. I apologize for missing the party so I could congratulate you in person but I was indisposed. I was told by one of my sources that you and your Pack had come across something of mine last year. A diary with school boy ramblings if what I was told was true. I do hope it didn't do any damage.
Onto the main reason I have written you. It has come to my attention that you have a following now. Tell me if you will, what is it you have planned that you need followers little Alpha? I would hate for us to be working against each other when I do find you so intriguing.
With regards,
Tom
Harry chuckled. He had been wondering when he would hear from Tom again. He couldn't help but wondered who the misfortunate victim whom was playing host to Tom was, as he was sure Quirrell was dead by now. He pulled out a piece of parchment from his bag to pen a reply.
Tom Riddle,
Or would you prefer Lord Voldemort? No, your younger self didn't do much harm, a few petrified here and there. He did endanger one of mine though but I took care of it. You were quite confident as a teen, never thought someone could out smart you. I think your younger self never even saw the possibility of his defeat. Even on his knees at wand point he was smug, thinking he still won. I pity you, as you must have been surrounded by morons to have such a superior attitude. Did no one keep you on your toes in school?
I would love to know who this source of yours is. I would very much like to meet them. As to a following, someone must be misdirecting you. I don't have followers. And as for plans, doesn't everyone have plans? Plans for school, for marriage, children, travel, and just life in general? You will have to be more specific. I intrigue you do I? Tell me, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Should I start boring you? I'm sure I can come up with a few things.
Awaiting your next letter,
Harrison
Harry smirked rereading his letter. Was he trying to piss this man off? …Maybe. It's kind of fun. He didn't truly know why but he felt eager to play this dangerous game.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
The first week of school passed by quickly for Harry. He enjoyed learning from Remus and he was enjoyed his elective classes. He, Draco, Neville, and Hermione were all taking ancient runes together as their first elective. Harry and Hermione were taking Arithmancy for their second elective. Neville, Hermione, and Draco were taking Care of Magical Creatures (same as the twins who were in their fifth year). Hermione was also taking Muggle studies. Because of the class load that Hermione was taking she was given a time turner to get to all of her classes.
Harry didn't get much time the first week to spend time with his godparents but was able to add three new recruits to his following; Colin Creevey a Lion, Stewart Ackerley a Raven, and Orla Quirke another Raven. All of them were second year students. That made his count of followers up to 35 without his Pack.
Harry walked beside Hermione from the Arithmancy classroom to the great hall to eat dinner. Hermione was talking excitedly about the lesson of the day while Harry nodded and grunted in appropriate places to make her believe he was listening. In truth he wasn't. He was thinking about when Tom was going to continue their game by sending another letter. Hermione punched his arm, drawing him back to the real world with a laugh. That's when it he felt it. The cold was back. "Hermione." Hermione paused at his voice tone. Fear flickered through their bond. "Hermione run, as fast as you can, run to the great hall. Get Severus, Minerva, or Remus." He pushed her when she didn't move. "Hermione run!"
Hermione turned and ran. When she turned around the corner leading to the stair Harry turned to face the approaching cold. He let his magic free. Harry's eyes glowed as he pulled two of his throwing knives out from their hidden sheaths on his hip. His power drifted around his form in shadows of red and grey. When the dark cloaked form of the dementor entered the hallway Harry struck. He infused his magic with the blades and threw his first knife fast and strong with precision. The magic infused blade struck true hitting the dementor in the shoulder. It let out an ear piercing scream, a scream that sounded like a mangled hiss to his ears. The dementor ripped the knife out, tossing it to the side before continuing its approach.
"Alpha!" He heard the twins yelling for him and he sensed the whole Pack and his godparents coming closer but he concentrated on the task at hand.
He needed to get the dementor out of the school or hold it back until someone else can. He slammed his magic out at the dementor and threw his second magic infused knife; again the dementor ripped the knife out. Harry could hear the scream. The same scream he heard before blacking out on the train. He pushed harder yet the dementor pushed closer in body and magic. A picture flashed, of a redheaded woman, through his mind, she was begging for her child's life. He felt the others come up beside him, just in time to as darkness was seeping into the edges of his eyesight. He gave one last push and grabbed a third knife. It flew true like the two before it.
"Expecto Patronum!" Harry felt the dementor let up in its assault when his godparents cast the spell as one. A doe, a big dog, a cat, and a wolf made of silvery mist rushed at the dementor, herding it away from Harry and out of sight.
"Pup?" Harry heard Sirius move behind him as he fell back. He caught him as the others gathered around.
"Sirius? What are you doing here? You shouldn't be around dementors while you are still recovering." Harry held stubbornly to the waking world. He would not pass out no matter how tired he was.
"I'm okay pup. I have my magic now and I wasn't going to just sit around when you needed help." Harry didn't know how but Sirius lifted him up in his arms.
"Let's get him to Pomfrey." Remus muttered, leading the way with Sirius behind him. Harry felt himself slipping from the waking world to the world of dreams. He was so tired. He needed to stay awake but he was having trouble keeping his eyes open.
"Sleep cub. It's alright we have you. You did so well holding the dementor back but you can sleep now." Harry followed Remus' command. He closed his eyes with a tired sigh and was instantly asleep.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry came back to the world all at once. He felt a number of people crowded around his bed. His eyes were greeted with the sight of most of his marked. His godparents were farthest away arguing with what looked like officials. 'Great'.
"Uncle Severus, Aunt Minerva what is going on?" Harry called over the voices. The room went silent. Everyone turned to look at the irritated boy lying in the bed. Harry noticed Madam Bones standing beside the Minister and a small group of aurors around them.
"Lord Evans. I know you are tired and need rest but we need to ask you a few questions." Madam Bones stepped up.
Harry nodded and indicated to the people around him. "And why are so many here?"
"They want to expel you for defending yourself with knives." Harry heard the girl but couldn't see her from his point in the room.
"It is not against the rules. While combat and weapon classes were dismissed from the curriculum, nowhere in the school rules does it state that student trained or training in weaponry cannot carry their weapon of choice." Hermione growled from her place at the foot of his bed. "What I would like to know is what was a dementor doing in the hallways of a school? We were told that they wouldn't enter the school yet they did and once again they attacked a student, a Lord to add insult to injury."
Harry let his attention slip from that to look at Remus who was making his way to his side. "Are you okay cub?"
"Yeah, just a little tired. What was that spell you used to fight the dementor?" Harry needed to learn of a better way to fight thoughts things until he got more information on them.
Remus smiled softly at Harry. "It's called the Patronus. It's the only form of protection found to work against dementors. It's a hard to perform charm that few master."
Harry nodded in understanding. "Remus?" He waited until the man smiled once again. "Will you teach me it? They seem to like me so I will most likely need to know an effective way to fight them."
"I can do that Harry. You will need it." He agreed. Remus noticed how they were drawn to Harry. He had just gotten his cub back, he was not going to lose him again.
"You know I might be able to help Sirius heal." Harry didn't know where that came from. He wasn't going to say anything but now that he did he couldn't take it back. Remus' startled expression told him all he needed to know. He sent his magic out to mute their conversation from everyone in the room. "Just get me a vile of his blood, freely given if you can. I know of a way to help him heal." Remus wanted to ask question, Harry saw it but he held back. A stiff nod was his answer. If he could help Sirius, Remus wasn't going to stop him.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Little Alpha,
I see you have found who I am then. No little Alpha to you I am Tom. In regards to my younger self I am glad nothing truly happen but the piece about being smug, I cannot be blamed. Not many can challenge me, let alone beat me and have me on my knees. Even at a young age no one was able to achieve my level of intelligence. You are interesting in that sense. You are intelligent; you know what questions to ask and how to play the game. So yes my little Alpha, it is a good thing.
Now my source is for me to know and for you to try and find out… if you can. They have told me many things. They tell me of the students who watch you as you walk by, the same students that referee to you on many matters and approach you for an audience. Do try to keep up. You were not the only one who recruited while in school, though I never had such a thorough mix of the houses as you do. My source told me that because of your follows the house rivalry has dropped lower than it has ever been. Congratulations, you are the first to make that happen since the founder's time.
This source of mine has also told me of the dementor attacks on you too. It is puzzling. Dementors do not normally gravitate to one person. There must be something about you that attracts them to you. Better find what quickly. I would hate to lose you so soon.
Regards,
Tom
Harry shook his head setting the black letter down on the table. The letter had appeared in a green flame after he got back from the med wing just an twenty minutes ago. He would reply to it later. Right now he wanted to start helping Sirius. He pulled out Blood Magic, a mirror, and the vial of blood that Remus has snuck to him as they passed in the hallway. He opened the book to his last read page to reread what he needed to do. He set the mirror onto the table so he could use both hand; one to tip the vile so six drops fell to the mirror and one hand to touching the edge of the mirror to help direct his magic. An image of Sirius curled up on his bed whimpering and crying out appeared. 'You are to plant little suggestions for them to follow with this exercise. Start small before you work bigger.' Harry concentrated on a few simple thoughts.
'No longer in Azkaban.' Was the first he placed close to the surface of Sirius' thoughts. The next was 'mate is always near.' It was true. Remus was always close by for Sirius. He wasn't going to let his mate suffer if his presence helped calm him. The last thought was even simpler, 'I am safe.' Harry felt the suggestions take seed in Sirius' mind quickly. He watched for the next ten minutes as Sirius slowly calmed down and, what looked like for the first time, really looked at his surroundings. Sirius gave a small smile before snuggling down back into the bed, pulling the one next to him in a hug, smelling it, before he slipped into a more restful sleep. Harry pulled his focus away from the mirror with a soft smile himself. Small steps will soon have Sirius back to relative normalcy. That was all he could do for the man at this point.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Hope you all enjoyed it and I hope to upload more soon.