Chapter 29: Waking up

Mara's first sign of something other than endless darkness was the sound of hissing and the cold sensation slowly leaving her body.

She could hear a door opening and her body being wrapped in foil as she was carried onto what she could only assume was a medical bed.

Slowly but surely, her mind started connecting with her body once again. She opened her eyes, trying to adjust to the bright lights in the room.

"Welcome back, Mara!" Shuri greeted the woman. Mara smiled in response, still slightly shivering from the cold temperature in the chamber.

"How is everything looking?" She asked, getting straight to the point.

"Well, I can say that we found a way to get rid of your trigger words. It will take around another month, but then you are free." The young girl responded.

"That's good news! How would that work exactly?"

"Well, we will need to do some intensive hypnotherapy that will be concluded through a ceremony. If you are then not triggered by the words, you are free to return home." Shuri explained.

Mara nodded and immediately thought of Natasha. "Can I call Nat and say that I'm awake?"

Shuri nodded and Mara quickly walked out of the medical room to her sleeping quarters, where her phone was.

She grabbed it from her nightstand and put it on the charger since it was very dead after a week.

She decided to take a shower to pass time, since she also didn't have time for that in the last week and smelled pretty bad.

Once she finished her shower and got dressed, she sat down on the bed and called her girlfriend.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe, it's me. I just got out of hibernation"

"Hi, baby! How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good actually. They managed to find a way to get rid of my trigger words and told me it would likely only take a month."

"That's great news! How are they planning to get rid of them?"

"Shuri said that they would put me through hypnosis therapy"

"Interesting. So they would just put you in some kind of trance?"

"Yeah, I think so. I honestly don't know the first thing about hypnosis aside from holding a pocket watch in front of someone to make them fall asleep."

She heard Natasha chuckle on the other end of the line, making her smile.

"How have you been doing this past week?"

"Pretty good actually, despite not even get to hear my girlfriend's voice for a week." She said. "Steve has also been really supportive, which made the pain hurt a little less. But nothing beats the sound of your voice."

"Good to know how much you love my voice. Did you go on any missions to keep yourself busy?"

"I did go on one small surveillance mission, but I was a little too distracted to go on an important one."

"I get that. Good that you got to go on one though." Mara said whilst yawning.

"Are you tired babe? You should probably get some sleep and recover from the procedure."

"Yeah. You're probably right, even though I technically slept for a week..." Mara joked.

"Sleep tight and talk to you later"

"I will, I love you"

"Love you too"

And with that, they both hung up the phone. Soon after, Mara had already fallen asleep.

Back in New York, Steve walked into Natasha's room after she too had put her phone down with a sigh. She was sitting on the edge of her bed.

Steve walked over and sat next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders.

"Should we tell her?" He asked.

"I can't... It would break her and possibly ruin her recovery." The redhead responded.