Wattpad Original

Chapter 21

As I quietly stormed away, I had no real destination in mind, so when I heard someone cough several times, then sneeze, I followed the sound into the next building. Nina lingered to exchange a few quiet words with the mother, although I knew she wouldn't be far behind.

I entered a side door on the main building with a frown of distaste, which wasn't too much different from the frown I had been wearing about thirty seconds ago. The smell in these hallways hadn't improved any. I paused to listen, and another sneeze gave away the location of the person I was tracking. I rounded the corner and spotted Joel mopping the floors ahead.

He blew his nose before noticing me. He hastily tucked the handkerchief into his pocket and slid his mask back onto his face. "I'm sorry for taking up your time for something like this. I think I caught a cold when I got wet and chilled a few days ago, but I also helped clean up the room where Charlie turned, so I'm not sure..."

"Shirt," I said, somewhat impatiently.

He flinched slightly at my tone, which had me regretting coming here before I had shaken off my ire. With only the barest hesitation, he removed his shirt and – with commendable courage – walked over to hand it to me.

"It doesn't take much to put me in a foul mood some days," I muttered, "and no, it wasn't anything you did." Why on Earth was I apologizing? Shaking my head, I took a quick sniff and handed his shirt back to him.

"You caught something, but it isn't the zombie virus," I informed him, more mildly than before. "It doesn't quite smell like a cold, but your body will probably shake off the infection in a week or so."

"Thanks," he replied, flashing me a shy smile as he accepted my unintentional apology. "I appreciate you coming when I know you're busy. I trust your judgment more than Nina's tests."

His casual reply was somehow worded in such a way that it was a mildly flattering compliment. It was also toned down enough that I didn't have to reply.

"Thank you for sparing the time to check," he continued gratefully. "If you ever need anything, I'll try my best to help."

His ability to wind down a conversation with a grumpy zombie was also commendable. There hadn't been any hint of a rush, and it also gave me an opening to continue talking if I so chose. I was somewhat impressed.

"I'll keep that in mind," I said, turning to leave. "Have a good day."

"You too."

Nina was just opening the door as I reached it, so she held it open for me as I came into fresh air.

She hesitated but wisely chose not to mention the previous event. "Did you find Joel? I believe he was supposed to be cleaning the hallways inside."

"Just some other minor infection."

"Ah. Thanks."

"Where are the rest of these people hiding?" I asked, wanting to get this task over and done with.

"They're scattered around. The closest one should be this way." She led the way as I walked beside her.

~

      It took us almost an hour to find all fourteen people. Most just had the cold that was going around, although a few were suffering from allergies. All of them had been so happy to see me – even before I told them they weren't infected – that it slowly mollified my temper.

Ironwind Stronghold was clearly a strange place. Who in their right mind was happy to see a zombie? I was seriously beginning to wonder if the water in this place was drugged with something. Perhaps Valium, Xanax, or some other happy drug. Nicky would probably know more about them than I did.