Chapter 36 - The Town

Photo by ilya on Flickr

Assault warning ⚠️
————————————————————————

Pachester was... not what (Y/N) expected.

The town was flooded. Debris floated from building to building, moss accumulated in groups everywhere, and the roofs on vehicles could be seen poking through the water. How were they supposed to get around? (Y/N) didn't see any boats or roads that weren't submerged.

Tuca was on top of the cop car getting a better look at the town. (Y/N) stayed with him while the other two demons went off to find a better way into the city. The road they were on wasn't flooded but the water did cover the street. (Y/N) was sitting on the hood of the car to avoid getting her boots wet, she looked up at the demon behind her, he seemed intent on finding something. "Is this where your family is?"

He nodded, turning in a different direction. "Since demons don't usually come here because of the water, my dad set up a secret way for us to get in whenever we come back from hunting. I don't remember where it is though."

She felt relieved to hear that demons avoided this town. There have been some marine demons that were captured before, but those kinds are rare. She propped her head on her arm as she stared at the building Ki and Akai had to climb through. It was their only way into the city because the roads ahead were blocked and flooded.

*Honk*

She jumped at the noise in front of her, climbing up the hood and looking down at the.... she paused. What was that?

Tuca heard the commotion and looked down too. He saw how she scooted back down the hood to get a better look at the small white animal. "It's a goose."

"A goose?" She questioned. Now looking at the animal some more, she remembered learning about them back in middle school. The bird stared at her before waddling over to the side of the car. (Y/N)'s eyes followed it curiously and she saw that it was looking up at the roof. It opened its wings and started flapping while jumping, landing on a spot next to Tuca.

The demon looked down at the bird, he hasn't had goose in a while.

Quietly, he shifted his index finger to be sharp like a knife. While the goose waddle towards the back, Tuca slowly bent down towards it and reached for its neck. (Y/N) noticed what he was doing and widened her eyes. He was going to kill it!

Tuca's hand was just an inch from grabbing the animal's neck when the goose turned around and saw the snake eyes the boy had. In under a second, the bird was on top of Tuca whacking him with its wings and biting at his face, thinking he was an actual snake. He fell back while trying to get the bird off of him while (Y/N) watched from the hood, trying to hold in a laugh.

She got up and took off her parka to try swatting the bird away. That only enraged the small beast even more. It dropped its attention from its first victim and set its sights on its second.

"Uh oh."

*HONK*

Meanwhile, with Ki and Akai, the two were on their way back from looking over the town. It looked vacant enough but it would be hard to move around, the only reason they were able to get in was from hopping roof to roof and going through windows. It's too late to leave the town, they already traveled almost three hours to get here and it's getting close to evening. Luckily they found a bar that has a second floor that's still intact, the entire bottom floor was flooded to the ceiling.

The whole time they were out though, Ki has noticed Akai being more... cautious. The blond was more focused on the outside rather than in and from time to time, Ki has caught him staring out a window, deeper into the town. It could possibly be that he was being more aware of their surroundings but it was like he knew where to go and even suggested the bar that was a few buildings down and out of sight.