Chapter 38 - The Close Call

(Y/N) avoided acknowledging the two demons for the rest of that day.

    Even when Akai yelled at her as they left the small town. Even when Ki threatened that if she did something like that again, he won't hold back. They made it clear that they didn't appreciate her attempt at 'leaving them'.

    But she didn't care. She ignored them and didn't give them the time of day. Her one chance at getting help, her chance at going home... gone. Flew out the window like a piece of paper in the wind. All because she didn't want Ki and Akai getting hurt...

    (Y/N) sighed as she curled up in the backseat of the cop car. Nighttime was starting to approach and so was the drop in temperature. Her eyes looked out the window opposite of her at the nothingness of trees and darkness that gradually got darker. Starting to shiver, she scooted up towards her backpack that was resting at her feet and pulled out her old jacket to use as a blanket.

    The pile of leaves and sticks set on fire outside did tempt her to leave the cold vehicle but she refused... because they were out there.

    Before they had left the city in the beat up cop car, Akai had spent a couple of hours aggressively hunting geese, ducks, and any other animal he can get his flames on, mostly to release the immense frustration he had for the human he kept. While he was busy slaughtering the local wildlife, (Y/N) was left with Ki. She expected him to stay close by her and even try talking to her after his threats, but he was still in the mindset where if one thing made him angry, he'll go feral. He decided to leave her back in the bar while he went to the roof and tried straightening out his mind.

    For the first time in forever, (Y/N) had peace and quiet all to herself for three whole hours.

    By the time they had left the town and traveled halfway down the highway, intended on going back to the familiar city and restarting there, it was starting to become late and the tall trees were making the roads too dark to see through. So the demons decided to stop and make a small campfire that'll produce some light. Akai told (Y/N) to get out the car and sit near the campfire to warm up... but again, she ignored him.

    She would rather be by herself for awhile until she calms down. She had so many words to give the two, all of them not nice, but would rather not waste any energy on them.

    As she was about to close her eyes and sleep the rest of this day away, two knocks on the window above her head disturbed her from doing so.

'Just go away.' She thought as she tossed her jacket over her head.

*knock knock*

    She yanked her jacket off and glared up at Ki who looked annoyed himself. She shooed him away with her hand then turned away so she wasn't looking at him. 'I don't want to eat a duck!' She grumbled in her thoughts.

    Ki huffed and turned around to lean on the vehicle. He crossed his arms and shrugged his shoulders at Akai. "She's not coming out."

"For fucks sake..." Akai grunted. He stood up from the fire and started making his way to the car door, if she wasn't going to leave the car, he'll just carry her out.

    Before he could do so, Ki blocked his path and pushed him back to the fire. "Just give her some time by herself. She's mad."

"I'm mad! I'm fucking pissed!" Akai whipped around and kicked a log he had found so hard that it flew into the tree tops. "What was she planning to do earlier?! She knew that little shit was leading us into another demon's territory and she even tried to stay with them! After all the work we put into protecting her ass, she wants to run off with people she doesn't even know!"