Chapter 113

And up went the shield.

It was a beautiful yet saddening sight.

And it would only hold so long.

Leona was quite annoyed.

Not with the shield, but with McGonagall, along with Remus and the twins that were adamant that Leona not do anything magical until the battle began.

She was the most valuable and powerful witch they had, which was why they didn't want her to waste her magic on the shield which would inevitably break anyway.

"Uncle Remus," she had said after everyone but Remus, Tonks and Fred had dispersed. "If we don't make it-"

Remus cut off his goddaughter by wrapping her in a hug.

"Do not think like that. All will be alright Lena. And if it isn't, then know that I love you. That I will always love you and I will always be with you. Because the ones who love us -"

"Never really leave us," the almost 20-year-old witch replied with a chuckle as she pulled away. "Still using dad's lines huh?"

Remus gave her a knowing smile.

"They seem to be more effective."

Leona's smile was bright but sad.

"I love you too Uncle Remus. Thanks for being there for me," she said as they hugged again, and Remus pressed a kiss to her head.

Leona then moved away to hug Tonks, the girls having grown quite close after her relationship had been announced.

And Remus even pulled Fred into a hug, thanking the boy for taking care of and loving Leona for all these years before the couples went their separate ways, unknowing if they would ever see each other again.

Leona then tucked herself under Fred's arm as they headed up to higher parts of the castle where George and Angelina were waiting.

And this time it was the twins that stood in the middle, their respective girlfriends on the other side of them as they watched the shield begin to crumble and crack under the offensive spells the hundreds, if not thousands of death eaters fired.

"You ok Freddy?" George asked, and you could see the tears in both their eyes.

This wasn't supposed to be how their lives went. And they were terrified.

"Yeah," the boy exhaled, and George only turned to his brother with a smirk.

"Me too," he said as he nudged Fred's shoulder, the two boys smiling at each other, their girls smiling two before they looked back at the disintegrating shield.

"Marry me."

All heads turned to Fred who was looking at Leona.

"W-what?" she stammered in complete and utter shock and disbelief.
He only took her hands as he inhaled a deep breath.

"I love you, and I don't ever want to lose you. But right here and right now, I might. And I don't want anything else to happen without at least the promise that you're going to be my wife someday in the future. Will you marry me?"

Leona knew her answer, of course she knew her answer, but in that moment when they were all about to walk into a battle that would potentially get them killed, all she could think about were all the bad things that could happen.

"But what about -"

"Just stop!" Fred cut her off as he cupped her face. "Stop thinking about everything that could go wrong. Stop thinking about how Remus gave me his blessing and one on behalf of your father. Stop thinking about everything except your answer. So, what is your answer?"

George was gripping Angelina so tightly as they anxiously waited, bodies frigid.

If anything, Fred's words only made her more sure of her answer.

And answer, that, at first, she couldn't voice as she nodded her head, and a slow smile began to spread on Fred's face as he understood what she was saying.

"Yes. Yeah, I'll marry you, Freddy," she said in disbelief, eyes misty as his lips crashed into hers before they hugged, Leona shaking with sobs and laughter.

"Congratulations Lena," Angelina smiled after the couple broke apart, and George punched his brother's shoulder in excitement before wrapping him in a hug.

"Thanks," she smiled before letting out a squeal as she was lifted up by George.

"My best friend is going to be my sister!" he exclaimed happily through gritted teeth as he set her down and Fred hugged Angelina.

But the happy moment died when the castle shook, the barrier a brilliant blue as it began to crumble faster.

A fight was coming, and it was coming fast.

And none of them would be prepared at how many people they'd lose to it.