Chapter 38

"YOU'RE PREGNANT?" ETHAN REPEATED his question with a somber expression.

Avery nodded without taking her eyes off him. The look on his face puzzled her. She couldn't explain why his gaze of devotion superseded with gloom, setback, and confusion.

"Doctor Stella is my OB."

Ethan nodded. It felt like the massive room was shrinking. Avery's confirmation of her pregnancy brought him back to before Ella was born—when Ella's mom was preparing him. Not just for their daughter's arrival, but in the end, he realized she also prepared him for their ending. Oh, Patty, you're so unfair! You didn't even ask what I wanted.

"Are you okay?" Avery's shaky voice snapped Ethan back to the present.

He gulped the white he poured into a glass. The cool Ethan changed into an anxious Ethan. He stroked his hair with his hand several times and took a deep breath. "How far along are you?" He looked Avery in the eye and scanned her baby bump.

"Going on my fifteenth week," Avery shyly answered. She caressed her bump and muttered little Bean's name to herself.

"I didn't notice when we met in the park. But I wondered how you and Ste knew each other. I guess the connection slipped my mind." Ethan slowly shook his head.

"Oh... Doctor Stella is one trustworthy and law-abiding doctor." Avery stammered.

Ethan lifted his head and placed his hand on his chin. His confused stare prompted Avery to explain. 

"I meant knowing your relation and her checking me in the park... I expected when you left, she would have told you about our doctor-patient connection." She felt her nerves.

"We both are. We follow doctor-patient confidentiality unless Ste needs my expert advice or a second opinion." Ethan poured another glass and drank it fast. "I assume your pregnancy is going well?" his stare started at Avery's face and ended on her bump.

"My little Bean..." She smiled and placed both hands on her stomach. "That's what I call my baby. They aced all there is on the developmental checklist. I'm just one of the few who show a slight bump."

"I see." Ethan nodded. "How about you?" He directed his gaze to her eyes. 

Suddenly, Avery felt like their conversation had turned into an interrogation. She felt awkward. "I'm fine, I guess. So far, so good." She looked at the door. "We should head out. We don't want Shelly sending a search team." She chuckled but halted, seeing Ethan's expression close up.

Ethan led her toward the door without a word, and they walked to Shelly and Doctor Stella's group.

"You and Doctor Stella raised your daughter mighty fine. Ella is the sweetest and the cutest!" Avery glowed with adoration.

Ethan's eyebrows waggled. "Oh, Ste isn't Ella's mom. She's my older sister. But she's been a great help in raising Ella. She shifted from Dermatology Medicine to Obstetrics and Development Pediatrics after Ella was born. I'm so lucky to have a sister like her."

Avery paused. She was stupefied. Good heavens!  Shelly noticed Avery's shocked face from a distance. Immediately, her best friend/protector instinct made her run toward her.

"Are you okay, Ave? How are you feeling?" Shelly asked.

"I'm good." Avery touched her forehead and feigned a headache, embarrassed everyone's eyes were on her.

Ethan ushered her swiftly to the nearest couch. "Ste, please check on her quickly!"

Avery signaled for Doctor Stella to disregard what her brother said. "It's all good. I just got a little nauseous."