Chapter 41 - The Promise

Assault warning ⚠️
————————————————————————

    It's been a couple of days since I9's attack. (Y/N) lost track of how many days went by, she guessed four, five, maybe longer? It felt like more than that though.

Believing that I9 was still in the area, Ki and Akai decided to take (Y/N) further away from the cemetery. They eventually made it to a different neighborhood a couple of miles away and stayed at one of the houses since then.

(Y/N)'s shoulder was healing up but it still felt uncomfortable to move. She wished she had the healing abilities like the demons around her. Akai was up and ready to fight again after a day and Ki was as good as new after three days. Even though Ki was healed, he didn't seem like himself after he changed back to his humanoid form. He didn't look anyone in the eyes besides (Y/N) and his cold stare sent shivers down her back whenever she caught him.

His appearance was starting to change too. Usually, when he changes back to his humanoid form, his hair turns completely black from white. But now he has small strands of the white remaining and they seemed to not want to change back. His two horns on his head have grown in size and he's become more quiet than usual. Only speaking for a second when it involved his love, then being silent for the rest of the day.

Ki didn't notice or acknowledge these small changes, but (Y/N) surely has. She was starting to feel intimidated whenever he came near her and wished he would just stare at something else that wasn't her.

She can't help but think that his fight with I9 must've been more intense than she thought. What if these small changes were a result of that?

After they temporarily settled into the new house, the plan was to head for that island Ki had discovered after (Y/N)'s shoulder was healed. Because of I9, they ended up straying further away than where they were previously, so the distance was much bigger than before.

Yama stuck around but left periodically for all hours of the day to go do whatever he does. The twins don't have much of a good relationship with each other, so Akai expected his brother to create some distance between them. The two get into arguments a lot over the smallest things and often had different ideas that lead to these arguments. So they just preferred to stay away from each other. It's not like they'll be separated forever, the link between them always reunited the twins in some way.

Currently, (Y/N) was upstairs in a bedroom that she had claimed for herself. The time was after midnight but she couldn't sleep due to her shoulder aching. She had her head in her arms at the window next to the bed, staring out into the cold night sky filled with dark clouds that were illuminated by the moon. The sight was eery but relaxing at the same time.

She couldn't comprehend how humans could leave all of this behind. Yea, they tried to copy as much of mother nature as possible down underground, but it's not the same. They can't recreate a night sky like this.

Still, she missed the Zones. Her whole life is down there, everyone she loves is down there.

The door to the bedroom opened but (Y/N) didn't bother to turn to see who it was. Akai went to go scouting the area for I9 and Yama went with him. So it just leaves her with Ki.

She heard the demon walk towards her and plop down on the spot of the bed next to her. He laid his head in her lap without saying anything and closed his eyes. She looked down at him and frowned at the white hair mixed in with his black. They should've been changed by now.

Sighing, she turned back to the window to watch the clouds float by. The cold air tickled her nose but she didn't make a move to seek warmth. Ki had given her his coat when the temperature started dropping even more. He's used to the extreme blizzard feeling due to his portals so he didn't need the garment.