Chapter 31 - A Different Course of Action

It was dark, too dark. You could feel your heart racing, sweat dripping down your face. It was cold, not enough to make you shiver, but enough to make you anxious. There was a slight breeze. Though it felt nice, it made you feel a bit uneasy. Where were you?

Suddenly, you could hear a scream in the distance. A young boy? No, it wasn't just any boy. That scream belonged to none other than your little brother, Tobi.

Without thinking, you rushed to the origin of the sound, desperately hoping and praying to any archon that would listen that he was okay.

Just before you reached him, you saw a small silhouette. It had to be Tobi's, surely.

Running towards the shadow, you almost made it. But just as you attempted to grab ahold of the figure, it dissolved into thin air.

He was gone.

Before you had the chance to react, a voice called out to you from all directions, saying your name. You couldn't pinpoint where exactly it was coming from. You kept hearing it, piercing through your head.

"Y/N!"

That's when you woke up in a cold sweat. The first thing you saw when you opened your eyes was the nervous face of your boyfriend, Scaramouche.

"Y/N? Are you okay??" He swiftly asked as you awoke.

"Huh..?" You slowly sat up, trying to recall what had just happened. It was obvious you were dreaming. And yet, it felt so real.

Scaramouche explained, "You were crying and calling for help."

You took a deep breath, careful not to let any of those negative emotions get to you. So, you threw on a smile, "It was just a dream. I get them often, don't worry about it."

He sighed of relief, laying back down. To that, you leaned over him, a smirk plastered all over your face, even through your puffy red eyes, "Why, Lord Scaramouche, could it be that you were.. worried about me?" You teased.

"Shut up, I wasn't. It was your imagination." Scaramouche defended.

You chuckled, "Sure it was." That little scene of his was quite amusing to you, which definitely brightened your mood.

Looking out the window, you noticed the sun about to rise, "It's going to be light soon, should we get going?"

Scaramouche sighed, followed by a large stretch. You had to admit, him doing his little morning stretch was kind of cute.

"That would be wise," he slowly emerged from the bed, rubbing his eyes to make himself feel more awake, "I'll head out first, you can say your goodbyes."

You nodded in agreement. You didn't know when you'd get to see Lu Wen or Tobi again. It honestly made you quite sad. Then again, you knew Tobi was in good hands with Lu Wen. After all, she reminded you of a more mellow version of your mother. Your mom was almost exactly like your best friend, yet she was more strong-willed and spontaneous than Lu Wen.

Though you hated to say it, Lu Wen was more of the "mother type", way more than your mother was. Yet you still loved her dearly. She might not have been super nurturing, but she loved you with all her heart. She would take you on adventures, teach you survival tactics, and your favorite part, she'd always tell you amazing stories about her travels. You couldn't help but wish you had spent more time with her while she was alive..

After you both got ready for the day, you exited the bedroom. To your surprise, there was a knock on the front door. Not just one, multiple. Someone seemed to be in a hurry.

You quickly ran to open the door, and low and behold, there was Childe.

"Childe?? What are you doing here? Weren't you way ahead of us on the trek to Snezhnaya? And- how'd you knew I was here..?" You asked, extremely confused.