Betrayal

George's POV

Clay was Dream. He was the Prince... Prince Dream.

I felt betrayed. He lied to me. He was using me. He... he tricked me.

Yet, I still fell in love.

I still fell in love with his beautiful green eyes, his cute freckles sprinkles across his cheeks, his adorable laugh, his singing voice, his cockiness. I love his big heart. I love his willingness to learn new things. I fell in love with him. And he left me broken hearted, betrayed me, lied to me.

I wanted so much for everything to go back to before I knew he was the Prince. I just couldn't get over the fact that he has been lying to me. It all felt so genuine, the moments we shared. I should've seen it coming. When he freaked out about the guards the first time, I was confused why. It makes sense now. It makes sense that he doesn't know how to make food, or tie a bow, because everything is done for him. He's never lifted a finger for himself. Until now.

Why would he do that? Why did he run away? Why did he choose to live a life of hard work and trouble over a life of ease and fortune? And why did he stick around when he had a chance to go back to luxury? Why did he have to save me from the guards, hurt his leg, show that he cared about me?

He broke my heart.

I walk down a dreary path. The path that led straight to the castle. I needed my questions answered. The only way to do that is ask Dream himself. I needed to know, why me? Why now?

* * *

Dream's POV

I stand in front of the king, eyes staring at the carpet below my muddied shoes. I didn't want to look at him. I was ashamed. It didn't feel right to be back at the castle after the best weeks of my life. I didn't want to be home. I wanted to be with George and make cookies and read books before bed. I hated my life without him.

"Dream."

I look up at my father.

"Never run away again." He commands with a gruff voice. "I was scared another kingdom would've found you and used you against me. We can't have that happening."

I nod my head, too tired to argue about his lack of care.

"Go to your room. We will talk more in the morning."

A guard escorts me to my room and locks me in, bidding a good night.

I sit on the edge of my bed and slide my backpack off my shoulders. Luckily the guards hadn't taken it off of me.

I slowly unzip it and pull out the few items I had gathered. I take a shirt from the top of the bag. It smells just like George.

The tears finally fall. They don't stop. I cry into George's shirt and wish I would've told him I was the prince. I wish I could've told him how much he means to me. How much our friendship mattered. Now all I could do is sob on my bed that's too big for me.

My breathing is broken, my heart is broken, my life is broken.

If only I could go back and tell George, if only I had realized sooner that I loved George. I love George.

The thought plagues my mind as I weep. I slide onto the floor and curl my legs to my chest.

Why didn't I tell him? Why did I have to run away in the first place? Everything was so much more complicated. And so much worse, yet better. Because I would never take back the time I spent with George. If only I had known I was falling in love. That I fell in love.

Now, I will never see him again. I will never get to see his chocolate eyes, hear his laugh, listen to him read another story, wake up to him sleeping on my chest, let him tie my apron before we knead bread and fill donuts with jam together.

I'm stuck in my old life. It's over now. Nothing will ever be the same.

Even after letting out every ounce of tears from my body I still feel broken. I drag myself onto my bed and curl into my pillow, wishing I could curl into George as he read me a story.

Now I lay alone in the darkness, and the cold. For what I did to George, I deserve it.

Thanks for reading! Did anybody cry? I did... Give me a 😭 if I made you cry. I've got a heart for you if you didn't. 💙 Have a lovely day. :D

798 words