Chapter 23

NAOMI'S POV:

Perhaps it was the penetrating beating of my heart, or maybe the incessive rambling from Mr. Davis that prevented me from observing the outside of the house. When he said my old home wasn't far from his, I was expecting maybe another hour of a ride but before I knew it we pulled into the driveway and were standing on his front porch within twenty minutes.

Everything seemed so surreal, and my apprehension was blinding. Maybe it was my subconscious trying to block the sudden revelation that came from moving, but there wasn't a single thing that I could process right now. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that it was starring me dead in the face, I probably wouldn't have realized the door was a bright red. Trying to settle myself, I shoved my hands inside of my coat pocket. Mr. Davis carried in my bag, so I really did not have anything to twirl around to ease some of my frustration.

When we walked inside, there was a wall parallel to the front door with a welcome bench sitting at the bottom. Attached above were some hooks where a few coats hung. This door led you directly to the inside of the corner of the house; to the left was a hallway with one door adjacent to a staircase, the right was what appeared to be an extra living room with one closet, and I could see two catty-corner exits, one of which containing an entrance to the kitchen and then another archway where the main living room sat.

"Let me show you your room." He motioned down the hallway to the left after taking off his shoes and waiting for me to do the same.

I followed behind him, carefully observing the cleanliness of everything around. Everything was placed strategically to give off an overwhelming sense of warmth and relaxation. I will not lie, I was expecting Mr. Davis' home to be as tidy and Scandinavian-styled as he was, a direct parallel to his office. His house was completely different. It seemed to be more transitional. There were some items that utilized traditional furnishings but there was also a mix of modern elements that made you question identifying it as one particular style.

We climbed up the stairs, I walked a little slower than usual because I was trying to find some pictures of him or anyone else in the family but so far I've been unsuccessful.

"I had the bedroom made ready last weekend." He said a little unsteady.

Grasping the silver doorknob, he gently pushed on the wooden door. I stepped inside first, the agony was killing me, and I tried to take everything in all at once, but it was becoming more and more overwhelming. The carpet was a thick mix of white and brown that complimented the lavender colored walls. It was supplied with a beautiful engraved wooden wardrobe along with a standard bed and end stand. It was breathtaking and for whatever reason it made it feel utterly relaxed. Almost as if it were made by a future me.

"If you don't like the colors we can redecorate." He assured me. "We can paint the walls or change the carpet...and I-I picked out the bedding, I thought it was nice." He shrugged and smirked, being modest.

I walked closer to see a white comforter with magenta flowers, underneath the sheets were a matching white but with smaller yellow flowers.

"It's so pretty, I love it." I smiled at him.

"Really?" He was surprised, "Okay good. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that." He mumbled under his breath.

"Very nice." I sat down on the comfy bed.

"Why don't you take a few minutes to settle in and then come downstairs for breakfast."

I nodded, walking over to pick up my suitcase.

"How about waffles?"

"Perfect."

He nodded before turning on his heels and closing the door behind him.